Letters of Rec are killing me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housefish26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, this process is gonna kill me. I thought I would be good to go with a letter from a graduate thesis advisor, a grad school prof, an undergrad research advisor, a physician, and a medical related employer.

Couple weeks about I find out BU wants a letter from an undergrad science prof from Chemistry, Bio, or Physics who I took a course from. So I went out scrambling and found someone who was willing on short notice. *Phew*, I thought, all my bases are covered.

Not so, yesterday I find out that 3 of the schools I'm applying to require a letter from a non-science prof who I took a course from. Christ! So today I've been running around and found an old music prof who was willing to do it.

So seriously, are there are any more letter types that I might need that I haven't got yet? I know I'm not considered late in the game yet, but you guys with your June 2nd primary submissions are stressing me out! Slow down a little!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine any more required letters. Good luck in the process.

Seriously, this process is gonna kill me. I thought I would be good to go with a letter from a graduate thesis advisor, a grad school prof, an undergrad research advisor, a physician, and a medical related employer.

Couple weeks about I find out BU wants a letter from an undergrad science prof from Chemistry, Bio, or Physics who I took a course from. So I went out scrambling and found someone who was willing on short notice. *Phew*, I thought, all my bases are covered.

Not so, yesterday I find out that 3 of the schools I'm applying to require a letter from a non-science prof who I took a course from. Christ! So today I've been running around and found an old music prof who was willing to do it.

So seriously, are there are any more letter types that I might need that I haven't got yet? I know I'm not considered late in the game yet, but you guys with your June 2nd primary submissions are stressing me out! Slow down a little!

A lot of schools say this but don't actually care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine any more required letters. Good luck in the process.

What about a 2nd science prof LOR? I thought most schools liked to see letters from 2 science professors from courses you took, and one non-science.

What about a 2nd science prof LOR? I thought most schools liked to see letters from 2 science professors from courses you took, and one non-science.

I forgot to mention that my grad thesis advisor, undergrad research advisor, and grad school prof letters all count as science letters for most schools.

Theres a few schools I didnt apply to because of the non-science professor letter of rec...

And this is why committee letters rock.

I feel bad for you guys :(

but can you use the same committee letters for the next cycle if you don't get in this year? Is there sort of an "expiration date" for those letters?

Sorry about the hassle op. But, we still have to thank this wonderful thing called email and telephone. Imagine having to do it all old school. Good luck with the nonscience LORs.

Hopefully you give them all thank you letters or some thank you gift.

but can you use the same committee letters for the next cycle if you don't get in this year? Is there sort of an "expiration date" for those letters?
It depends on the school. My undergrad institution keeps committee packets on file for up to 5 years after graduation, but if you decide to update that packet with a new resume/letter of changes, they are happy to continue holding the packet.

There probably is, of course, a "soft" expiration, where your letters are just too old to be considered by the med school, despite your undergrad still keeping them on file.

OP: that sucks man, but keep on it and good luck with the rest of the process.

2 sci + 1 non-sci + research advisor should be a combo good for any school. Of course, feel free to add additional letters.

i never got notified about a non-sci rec...then again i used a committee letter, which is much easier IMO.

I graduated in 2008 and I'm an older applicant so I don't know if that makes a difference, but my application cycle for fall 2009, I decided to apply to schools ignoring requirements for LORs as I decided I wouldn't be able to get new LORs anyways.

First off, if your school does committee letters, every school I bothered looking up specifically notes that's all they need. Mine didn't. Instead, I had 2 science undergrad professors and my research advisor write my LORs.

I ended up getting interviewed at a couple schools that required a LOR from a non-science (I was accepted at one of them.) I also recieved an acceptance from a school that required 4 LORs in lieu of a committee letter.

I graduated in 2008 and I'm an older applicant so I don't know if that makes a difference, but my application cycle for fall 2009, I decided to apply to schools ignoring requirements for LORs as I decided I wouldn't be able to get new LORs anyways.

First off, if your school does committee letters, every school I bothered looking up specifically notes that's all they need. Mine didn't. Instead, I had 2 science undergrad professors and my research advisor write my LORs.

I ended up getting interviewed at a couple schools that required a LOR from a non-science (I was accepted at one of them.) I also recieved an acceptance from a school that required 4 LORs in lieu of a committee letter.

Thanks for your input! I had a sneaking suspicion that they wouldn't just throw my letter in the trash because I didn't meet all of the LOR requirements.