letters of rec for a non traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATMATT

SISU
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college in 1997. Just went back for a few credits bio last term (a one school) & now organic and A & P (at a different school). I had to go to the other school because they offered these courses in the summer. Many schools want a letter from the pre-dent committee. Well, I really do not have a school that "knows" me. This makes the letter from a pre dent committee hard to come by. Any suggestions other then contacting each school I am applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

DATMATT,

I grad in '99 and applied for this year. I didn't have any letters when I grad so when I decided to apply I was definitely freaking out. I went back to school last summer, took a couple of courses and got 2 letters from there. Then, I tracked down an old prof and asked him. He didn't really know me (lrg class + yrs ago) but he was all too happy to write me a letter. Does your current school have a committee? I think you should get letters from your ochem and a&p profs and see if you can't track down an old prof who could write you a letter. If your school does have a committee, you could present them w/ a curriculum vitae and your personal statement and explain your situation. I'm sure they will be sympathetic and the cv and ps will give them an opportunity to get to know you better.

most school prefers a letter from a pre-professional committee, but only if your school has such a committee. Also be aware that sometimes different school requires extra letters, or a specific letter from a certain type of professors.
So check with the individual schools.
One interesting thing about the pre-professional committee recommendation. A friend of mine goes to a small private liberal arts college in Pomona, CA. When she applied to med school, she had to get the committee's rec letter bc there is a preprofessional committee at her school. Apparently, the committee will not write those letters or let a student apply to med school if they don't have a certain GPA or mcat scores. It's interesting, because they are trying to keep up the number of accepted students from their school, but it's unfair for some of the students I think, because that committee can't say whether a student's chances to get into professional school is a clear yes or no, and they are reducing the chances for some students if they outright refuse to write letters for them bc of their gpa and mcat score, it's not so clear cut when it comes to a student's potential to get into a program since different schools look for different things. Isn't that weird?