letters of rec.. help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kureejipharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i'm kinda new to this site so sorry if there's already a thread for this. I was wondering who I should ask for my letters of rec.. here are my possibilities:
1. Pharmacist i worked with over the summer (i will ask him, i need a pharmacist's letter)

2. TA... I'm co-teaching a general bio lab section with a graduate student. I'm thinking of asking her to write it, then having the lecturer add a little on to whatever she writes. I also took the general bio lab course before...

3. Graduate student and professor... I am working on a research project (bio-related, but nothing to do with pharmacy or anything molecular) with a graduate student. I will be presenting a poster on it over winter break. I would ask the grad student and professor to cowrite a letter

4. Microbio lab TA + lecturer.. i talk to them a lot during the lab, im doing ok in it

5. Im going abroad next semester on a biomedicine program... i could possibly ask professors abroad to write my letter as i will probably be closer to them than professors here (i go to a big school)

So, who should I ask? I will be going abroad next semester, so I sort of would like to ask soon! I know a lot of schools ask for "Science Professor"... the professor who i'm doing research with technically is a science professor, but i never took a course from her, so i'm not sure if that counts? I, sadly, did not develop relationships with my other science teachers so far... Anyways, please help! Thanks for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask the person who you KNOW will write you the best letter since all those relationships seem very similar...

But I would watch your list of schools to see if they're okay with a TA letter. Some don't care but some explicitly won't accept one, so if you ask a TA, make sure the professor goes over it and is the one who submits it to PharmCAS.

http://www.pharmcas.com/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

You can check that page to see if your schools will take letters from a TA.

hey, i'm kinda new to this site so sorry if there's already a thread for this. I was wondering who I should ask for my letters of rec.. here are my possibilities:
1. Pharmacist i worked with over the summer (i will ask him, i need a pharmacist's letter)

2. TA... I'm co-teaching a general bio lab section with a graduate student. I'm thinking of asking her to write it, then having the lecturer add a little on to whatever she writes. I also took the general bio lab course before...

3. Graduate student and professor... I am working on a research project (bio-related, but nothing to do with pharmacy or anything molecular) with a graduate student. I will be presenting a poster on it over winter break. I would ask the grad student and professor to cowrite a letter

4. Microbio lab TA + lecturer.. i talk to them a lot during the lab, im doing ok in it

5. Im going abroad next semester on a biomedicine program... i could possibly ask professors abroad to write my letter as i will probably be closer to them than professors here (i go to a big school)

So, who should I ask? I will be going abroad next semester, so I sort of would like to ask soon! I know a lot of schools ask for "Science Professor"... the professor who i'm doing research with technically is a science professor, but i never took a course from her, so i'm not sure if that counts? I, sadly, did not develop relationships with my other science teachers so far... Anyways, please help! Thanks for your input! :)

Different letters will provide different insights to your personality and how you will potentially succeed in pharmacy school. If your pharmacist can attest to your personality and potential as a pharmacist, then you may want to consider a letter which can vouch for your academic abilities (pharmacy schools want to be sure you'll be able to handle the workload).

But again, choose the letter from someone who knows YOU the best and will be able to write outstanding things about you. Mine were my pharmacist, a science professor, and my cello professor. I feel that each were able to talk about different parts of who I am as well as my potential.

Good luck! :thumbup: