Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Letters of Rec ...HELP What should I do

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by oburger, Aug 11, 2006.

1. oburger

oburger Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Does anyone have any good advice for me getting LOR's?

I graduated from a large public university - UC Davis with its 25K undergraduates alone. I graduated in 2004 so it has been a long time. Also most of my science classes were way back in 2000-2002 so now that I need LOR's from science professors, no one remembers me. I tried asking for LOR's politely and and offered to give them lots of information about me (like my transcripts, why I want to go to med school, Letter of Intent, Personal Statement, what I learned in college, what I'm doing after college, etc. )

But nobody seems to want to write, or they say politely that I should find someone else who knows me better. I realize alot of people would say that I should suck it up and tough it out, but what should I do???

I really regret not asking for letters earlier, but I decided to apply to med school after graduation anyways. So heads up for you med applicants in school... Get letters early folks! Don't be like me!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Join the bandwagon man. I have research/clinical letters, but no science lecturer letters....so almost same position.
    You should keep trying to ask your other science lecturers, and explain your situation. What was your major? If your major was something outside the BCPM, try asking them, schools require 'science' not BCPM specifically....

4. AMcD3

AMcD3 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My guess is that most med schools are going to be fairly strict about you having lors from science profs, but if you have 3 or 4 other people in a position to write you a good rec (research, clinical, whatever), you might as well take a shot at writing to the admissions department at some schools, explaining your situation, and see if they'll let you go with that. Probably won't work, but if it does, it could save you some grief.

5. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you need to have a science LOR? I had an MD that I worked for, my research advisor and a faculty member that I coached soccer with.

6. nozzie

nozzie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did you explain your situation to them and offer to meet with them in person? Were there any profs that you took more than one class with whom you can target? Did you take any upper division science classes (it sounds like you didn't but thought I would ask anyways)? I graduated from Berkeley in 2003 and was able to successfully get letters by taking these questions into account. I am extremely fortunate that I had some super nice science professors though. Good luck :luck: . LORs are a major pain...