Letters of Rec Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judb16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied 2015/16 cycle and am currently sitting on 4 IIs with 2 waitlists and 2 decisions TBD. Expecting one of those to be either waitlist or rejection (very competitive school). Anyway, I'm planning on applying 2016/2017 cycle and am wondering about letters of recommendation.

Can I just use my letters from last cycle? I could contact the writers and have them update the date but it would be the exact same letter. Unfortunately, 3/4 of them were from my UG institution. I've since graduated and moved away so they really wouldn't have anything new to add. Would schools look down on that?
I used the letter writing service at my UG. Could I call my pre-health advisor to make sure all the letters were actually good ones? Or could the medical schools tell me if they were any good? That way I could decide to reuse them or not.

I had 4 letters:
Science - Great letter from the dean of my college (I took 5 classes from him and know him pretty well)
Science - Honestly, I have no idea how this letter was. I did really well in the class, and we talked many times during office hours, but other that, no real relationship.
Research - Great letter, Co-authored a publication together, did well in my classes with her, we've been in contact for over 2 years.
Clinical Volunteer - An okay letter. I was thinking of getting this replaced with my new hospital job that I've been working at.

If that doesn't work out, I'm not sure how I would go about contacting professors that I haven't seen in over a year.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's inappropriate to use 2-3 of the same letters, but I would absolutely have at least one new letter for the next cycle. You want to show improvement in as many parts of your application as possible, and I would include a new letter of recommendation or two as part of that.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's inappropriate to use 2-3 of the same letters, but I would absolutely have at least one new letter for the next cycle. You want to show improvement in as many parts of your application as possible, and I would include a new letter of recommendation or two as part of that.
Thanks! I'm glad I got at least one reply :)