Letters of Rec (One year Limit)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by weirdo700, Sep 30, 2002.

1. weirdo700

weirdo700 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi I have been out of school since June of 2001 and I only have academic letters of recommendation that are dated from June of 2001 to September of 2001. When I submitted my app to Baylor I noticed that they require all letters be written within a year. I do have letters from my employer but I also notice they require two academic letters. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to have to return my letters to my profs a year later and ask them to update it, but it looks like that is what I have to do. Is anyone using recommendations over a year? Thanks

By the way (This is totally off subject) I am also from UCLA with a 32 (8, 11, 13) Q and 3.65 overall and 3.6 science. However I am concerned because I only have two interviews. I completed most of my apps in late Aug, early Sept....do you think I am just being paranoid about my numbers or does it take longer for interview invites? Thanks again.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First thing I'd do, call Baylor and tell them your situation. They probably have the time limit on there so people don't use letters from several years/decades ago. I'm thinkin a couple of months isn't that big of a deal.

If they say, we're very strict on this, can you go to the profs/ e-mail the profs who wrote the first letters and ask them to reprint the letters but with a different date?

g/l!

4. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i say f-em.
    i'm in the same situation and I'm using my slightly stale recs.
    I dont think when they set up these requirements they were really taking in to consideration people who have been out of academia for a while.
    dont sweat it - I bet they either a) dont notice b) notice and dont care c) notice and realize you've been working for a while.
    good luck!

5. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

Just call them....honestly, that's the best approach and the fastest approach.

good luck!