Letters of Rec - Ph.D. vs. lecturer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagger288

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on asking my english professor (he doesn't have a doctoral degree, just Masters) for a non-science letter of recommendation, but his official title is "English Lecturer." Would the fact that he's not tenured or a doctor be a problem for adcoms, or should I still go ahead and ask him for a rec? By application time, I'll have taken 3 of this classes, and he knows me quite well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say for certain (all of my letters were signed or co-signed by PhDs), but I can't imagine it's a big deal, especially for a non-science letter. He was your instructor and is evaluating you based on his experience teaching you

Nope, it doesn't matter what his credentials are as long as he can give you a positive recommendation that speaks to your academic abilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my non-science letter written by a lecturer as well and I've actually gotten compliments on some of the nice things she said about me...no one has brought up that she lacks a PhD and isn't tenured. Like everyone said above, it's the quality of the letter and what the letter says that matters, not the letters that come after the name in the signature. good luck!! :)

I got a letter from my boxing coach, soooo