letters of rec question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever my letters of recommendation are ready at my university, I was planning on having the same ones sent to all schools.
If you have two science professors, two nonscience professors, and two people you worked for as the recommenders, should that be okay? I think that some schools want fewer letters, but I'm not sure which ones care really...

they are all going with a committee letter, so I had thought that meant it didn't matter if you had too many letters, but it suddenly occured to me that could be a problem. If anyone knows or knows which schools hate having more than a certain number of letters, I'd appreciate the advice!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Tulane appears to want 3 and only 3 letters.

I called my school today and asked them about this and was told that school's never complain if they get too many letters, so there's nothing for me to do/worry about.
(the secretary also recognized my voice! how scary.)

I hope that's true... :)

Thanks for the info...I appreciate it.

I see now that I didn't read your post carefully enough. If your letters are going with a committee letter, then it doesn't matter at all how many letters went into and/or are sent along with the committee letter. Most schools seem to prefer the committee letter approach, so you're set. It's we poor folk without committees who are weeping and gnashing our teeth over recs!