Letters of Rec. - When to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a1bui

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it can vary, but in general, when is it respectable to ask for a LoR from the optometrist you volunteered for?

I plan to volunteer for a private office, then switch to a comprehensive eye center, but would it be rude to volunteer at the private office for a couple months, ask for a LoR, then leave? I'd like to stay at 1 place longer but I need to experience different working environments.

How long did you guys/girls wait before asking?

Oh, and for the professor LoR, did you guys/girls attend the prof.'s office hours and tried to get chummy chummy, or just did well in the class and asked?

I'm planning for my upcoming 3rd year....Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

a1bui said:
I know it can vary, but in general, when is it respectable to ask for a LoR from the optometrist you volunteered for?

I plan to volunteer for a private office, then switch to a comprehensive eye center, but would it be rude to volunteer at the private office for a couple months, ask for a LoR, then leave? I'd like to stay at 1 place longer but I need to experience different working environments.

How long did you guys/girls wait before asking?

Oh, and for the professor LoR, did you guys/girls attend the prof.'s office hours and tried to get chummy chummy, or just did well in the class and asked?

I'm planning for my upcoming 3rd year....Thanks in advance! :)

I got Letters of Recommendation from 5 different profs. I went to office hours of a couple of them, but the others pretty much just knew me because I sat in the front row, never missed a class, asked a ton of questions, and did well in their class.

One prof I couldn't get a hold of because she quit teaching, so I got her home phone number from the school and called her at home.

At first asking these people for letters was uncomfortable, but after a while it didn't really even feel odd anymore.

Too bad I didn't get accepted though. I'm not giving up yet though. I'm going to reapply as soon applications are available.

a1bui said:

That is fine. Every OD remembers what it was like to get those letters. I would say that shadowing some place for a couple months is more than most people do.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it depends on how well you managed to talk to the optometrist. i managed to get one after 3 four hour visits because we managed to takl during lunch and she asked me about myself and my plans, that made it so much easier to ask for a letter. you may not want to ask too soon but the worst they can say is no...

Most OD are more than happy to write a LOR for you. If you've already been shadowing in this off for more than a month, that's probably enough time. The doctor should know quite a bit about you by now to write a pretty good LOR. Also, like you were saying that you wanted to shadow different modalities of practice, so you're probably safe to go ahead and move on.

Hey,

I shadowed one OD for 4 hours and asked her for a LOR. I shadowed another OD at the same clinic for 8 hours and also asked him for a LOR. I knew that they didin't really know me that well, so I provided them with a lot of background information: resume, essay, what would make me a good optometrist, and my strenghts and weaknesses. Good luck!

Ning-Ju

I shadowed an OD yesterday for 2 hrs. and it was great, and she told me I could come back again if I wanted. I do plan on shadowing for a few more hours, over a couple of sessions. Do you think it is best to mention the LOR next time I see her, or at the end?