Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Letters of rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hopkins2010, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I have one professor who is writing me a letter specifically for MD/PhD programs, so therefore I'm not sending his letter to the regular MD schools that I'm applying to.

Well, I went in to speak with him today about something, and he voluntarily started talking about his recommendation (which he wrote about a month ago).

These are his exact words:

"What I attempted to do, was to sit down and write the BEST letter that I have ever written"

Needless to say, I was ecstatic to hear this. My chances at getting into MD/PhD are low because of my MCAT so hearing any good news like this helps.

I was thinking that I could send his letter to the MD programs as well, since by his own words it is extremely positive.

Should I do this? Keep in mind that its a letter written primarily for MD/PhD programs, so its focus is slightly different from my normal MD recs.

What would you do? Send it now, send it later on to waitlist schools perhaps, or dont send it at all?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Send it now!

4. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Baylor -- I don't get it. What do you have to lose here?

You have a professor at a decent university writing glowing wonderfully squishy things about you, and you are worried that Adcoms might not like/think less of you because it's "focus is slightly different from my normal MD recs"?

I want this problem. Will you take one of mine in return?

send.letter.now.

mj

5. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

send now. 'nuff said.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

But make sure to notify the schools who are fussy about how many letters are coming that you're adding one recommender. I just got Vermont's secondary today, and they said a letter would not be considered part of one's file if you hadn't listed the letter writer on the form! They actually said you had to write a letter -- an e-mail wouldn't do! :rolleyes:

7. johnthestreak

johnthestreak master of disaster
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey i go to baylor! who are you?