Letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisymae4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about schools that request a letter from every PI you have worked with... How dead set are adcoms on that rule? I already have three letters from my primary PIs but haven't asked for letters from the other two due to the fact that it has been a long time since I worked with them (so I have changed a lot) and they didn't get to know me well since I only worked for each for a semester. Three schools I am applying to explicitly ask for letters from every research experience but this close to submission I don't want those two letters to hold back my application. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question about schools that request a letter from every PI you have worked with... How dead set are adcoms on that rule? I already have three letters from my primary PIs but haven't asked for letters from the other two due to the fact that it has been a long time since I worked with them (so I have changed a lot) and they didn't get to know me well since I only worked for each for a semester. Three schools I am applying to explicitly ask for letters from every research experience but this close to submission I don't want those two letters to hold back my application. Thoughts?
Though my program usually requires letters from all PIs, we would grant an exception in your case: you only worked with the previous PIs for a semester and will have letters from 3 more recent PIs. I would just submit without the other letters. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user