letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have to use someone who has a doctorate degree of some kind (MD, PhD) for our letters of rec? Or will a supervisor do? I'm thinking of using two of my professors and one other PhD who was my high school teacher. Is that ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, to answer your first question...No. You don't need a doctorate or a PhD or MD to sign off on your letter, BUT it would be very nice if they did. If you can, get your TA to write the letter, or whoever taught you personally, and then have the prof sign it or co-sign it. The rule of thumb really is that you need to get 2 recs from professors or teachers in biological sciences and one from the humanities. The rest of them can come from research, work and whatever other field your school wants it from. Unless you took some course or did some post-high school work with this prof, I don't think it is what they want then. Here was my breakdown:
1 prof in the bio dept.
1 prof in immunology (took a class)
1 prof from research
1 prof from humanities
1 nurse which I did some clinical work with.

I would say that 3 is the bare minimum.
Hope this helps.
:)

I tried to get letters from MD's that I had shadowed over the past few years. That seems to work well....

Mine goes like this
1-MD/PhD-Medical Director of Toxicology at a local hospital
1-MD-Attending physician at a local clinic who serves the underprivelaged
1-Pre-Med committee of my college (joint letter where everyone signs it and adds in)
1-For my AACOMAS app-a family practice DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by joojoobeware:
•Well, to answer your first question...No. You don't need a doctorate or a PhD or MD to sign off on your letter, BUT it would be very nice if they did. If you can, get your TA to write the letter, or whoever taught you personally, and then have the prof sign it or co-sign it. The rule of thumb really is that you need to get 2 recs from professors or teachers in biological sciences and one from the humanities. The rest of them can come from research, work and whatever other field your school wants it from. Unless you took some course or did some post-high school work with this prof, I don't think it is what they want then. Here was my breakdown:
1 prof in the bio dept.
1 prof in immunology (took a class)
1 prof from research
1 prof from humanities
1 nurse which I did some clinical work with.

I would say that 3 is the bare minimum.
Hope this helps.
:)

I would say that 3 is enough. The premed committee at my school strictly prohibits more than 3 letters. (2 science professors + one anything)

Hey Moo, do you go to school in Canada? Where?

turtle, I just sent you a private message.

I guess all schools are different...my school doesn't have a premed committee...
well anyways, i've seen some schools that i applied to..wanting a letter from a physics, chem, bio and english prof. So it's all dependent on where you go...where you are applying to. But like I said before...you'll be good with 3. That will take care of MOST of the schools.

Originally posted by joojoobeware:
•I guess all schools are different...my school doesn't have a premed committee...
well anyways, i've seen some schools that i applied to..wanting a letter from a physics, chem, bio and english prof. So it's all dependent on where you go...where you are applying to. But like I said before...you'll be good with 3. That will take care of MOST of the schools.•

I agree with you. But, for Md/PhD, I think it is important to have as many recommendations as possible. (from research sponsors).