Letters of Rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by lee0539, Apr 13, 2007.

1. lee0539

lee0539 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Should I shadow a pharamcist for a few hours a week and then later ask them for letter of rec or tell them beforehand that I want to shadow them and wish to get a letter of rec? Also is it okay to just ask previous professors for letters from like bio/chem classes? Do they usually have like a letter ready made or do they need to know me really well, because I'm not sure if they will remember me... I do go to a pretty big school. I'm just not comfortable asking for letter of recommendations, I feel like I'm bothering them.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yes bio/chem are good for LORs if they know you well enough to write a good LOR or have a good form letter they can paste your name on:rolleyes: . It would be better to have one from an instructor, in any subject, that knows you better. I'd try to have at least one science professor write one, especially if you can't get one from a pharmacist. Don't ask during finals week or the week after (when they are getting grades ready for posting) Ask several weeks before or at least one week after grades are posted. (give the poor guys a break essentially) This is my personal opinion, not some hard and fast etiquette thing.

Regarding shadowing, it'll take a bit of shadowing to get a good LOR since they'll kind of need to get to know you get write a good one about you. If you don't care if it's a good one (just need to meet a school's requirement to have an LOR from a pharmacist) then I guess you could ask them ahead of time. Otherwise, just giving them that you're trying to get into pharmacy school will be enough for them to know you want an LOR, then you can bide your time and ask for one when you feel it's appropriate. Volunteering in a pharmacy would be better than just shadowing, but I understand that's easier said than done.

4. lee0539

lee0539 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

would it be a problem if its been awhile? or should I just ask my current biochem lab professor. Its kinda hard to get to know a professor unless I went to the professor to ask a bunch of questions which I usually ask the TAs since they are more available time wise. Also there are like 120 other students in the class so I'm sure I dont exactly pop out in their memory.

5. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i think you should volunteer first and then ask him at the appropriate time

6. lee0539

lee0539 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

is it easier to volunteer at a private pharmacy from the yellow pages or are the CVC, Rite Aid, Walmart Pharmacy the same?

7. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    Volunteering is typically done at public institutions: Hospitals, clinics, VA, etc. Here you can start out doing small stuff and hopefully work your way into doing something related to pharmacy. (I'm not sure what you'd be able to do as a non-tech/clerk, but maybe there is something.)
    As far as I know, chain pharmacies have very little need to babysit someone with no experience. They're into efficiency and time=money, no time to show you anything or explain anything. Unless you can help them fill/process the scrips somehow, you'd be a third leg more than anything. I find it unlikely you could "volunteer" there. Now, if you have experience and meet whatever state qualifications, you could work there which is just as beneficial.

8. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    like the above poster stated, chain pharmacies will most likely flat out say "no" to anyone that asks to volunteer there..i volunteer at a private owned pharmacy so the owner is more lenient to a college student's needs

the only reason i'm volunteering at a private pharmacy is because i don't have time to work 10+ hours at a chain pharmacy (extremely busy school schedule)

you could apply to an outpatient pharmacy at a hospital for pharmacy experience as well if you don't get a job at a chain or volunteer opportunity at a private one

9. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    I should add, even though it would be difficult at best to volunteer at a chain pharmacy, you might find a pharmacist who will let you shadow. (From what I've heard you sit and do nothing, but make sure you stay out of the way.) Even then it's probably difficult because obstacles decrease production/effiency.

10. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I go to a pretty big school as well. I had my Ochem prof write a letter for me. I had really never met the man before approaching him for the letter and my class had over 200 students. He told me with classes that size when he writes letters all he really can go off of, is how well you did in the course. If you were one of the top tier students in the course then do not feel uncomfortable for asking but if you only did mediocre in the class and you never really went to office hours I do not see how they could really write one. Before my professor wrote my letter, I gave him a copy of my personal statement and a list of my goals and some academic info, to help him write a more personal letter.