Letters Of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cocoon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying next year for med school and also applying for internships this coming summer. How do u guys ask a professor to write a letter of rec. that's targeted for med school and one targeted for internships? I feel like I'm asking too much if I do both. Should they write one that's general? like, "I recommend ... to whatever he wants to do in life...." kinda rec. Also I have letters of rec. written for med school and would like to use them for internship applications, would it be bad to do that? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

no ask for 2 seperate ones. if s(he) likes you enough then it should be no prb. its not good for either routes to have a generic rec. though a recommendation for "excellence in life" wouldn't be too bad for self-esteem purposes.;)

i was doing the same thing last year. what i ended up doing is asking for the summer internship letters now, since most of those applications have to be turned in by january or early feb. In the meanwhile, maintain a good relationship with your prof. and keep them up to date with your summer internship applications, if u get accepted, etc. Then, around March or so....you can ask them for the med school letters. Thats how I did it, and it worked well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jot
no ask for 2 seperate ones. if s(he) likes you enough then it should be no prb. its not good for either routes to have a generic rec. though a recommendation for "excellence in life" wouldn't be too bad for self-esteem purposes.;)

This is true. If they like you enough, then they'll be glad to write it for two. It won't take much to change it over for medical school. With word processing, it only takes 10 minutes to change a few statements.

Good luck!

in summary, xxxx is an ideal candidate for medical school.

change to:

in summary, xxxx is an ideal candidate for (the internship).

no problemo ;)