• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Letters of Rec

About the Ads

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
  • May 27, 2008
    1. Pharmacist
      Look to see if the program has any specific requirements.

Just as an FYI from a program's stand point...most retail pharmacists do not write good letters of rec.

I matched at a moderately competitive program with a retail preceptor being one of my references, so if you think they'll write a good letter for you, it's OK (n=1).

KARM12

15+ Year Member
      Apr 4, 2006
      East
      1. Pharmacist
        I matched at a moderately competitive program with a retail preceptor being one of my references, so if you think they'll write a good letter for you, it's OK (n=1).

It isn't that they aren't going to say good things about you, it is just they usually aren't well written. They usually don't know what type of things to say... I don't care that you can "work a cash register well" or "can type prescriptions fast."

My favorite was a retail pharmacist that wrote a LOR on notebook paper with a pencil. Seriously, that guy isn't going to give you a lot of points.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
        15+ Year Member
        Feb 27, 2004
        Innisfree
        1. Pharmacist
          As an RD, I look at LORs that indicate that the writer knows the person well. I think a LOR from a retail manager can certainly speak to someone's people skills, initiative, clinical judgement, common sense, business sense, responsibility, etc. I would not want 3 LORS from retail managers (or 3 profs or 3 preceptors) but one is ok.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
          15+ Year Member
          Dec 19, 2004
          Best Coast
          1. Pharmacist
            It isn't that they aren't going to say good things about you, it is just they usually aren't well written. They usually don't know what type of things to say... I don't care that you can "work a cash register well" or "can type prescriptions fast."

My favorite was a retail pharmacist that wrote a LOR on notebook paper with a pencil. Seriously, that guy isn't going to give you a lot of points.

I remember applying to rx school and I asked my retail PIC to write one for me, so I left the requisite forms on his desk in the back and went home.

Came back the next day, he wasn't there, but he left it for me in the back. He filled out the check-off questionnaire and in the large blank space for a LOR, he wrote in a rather inky pen "I recommend (confettiflyer) for pharmacy school."

:confused:

I ended up discreetly asking another pharmacist at work to write it for me.

MyShift

Jun 24, 2011
              As an RD, I look at LORs that indicate that the writer knows the person well. I think a LOR from a retail manager can certainly speak to someone's people skills, initiative, clinical judgement, common sense, business sense, responsibility, etc. I would not want 3 LORS from retail managers (or 3 profs or 3 preceptors) but one is ok.
              3 preceptors would be bad? Also I kinda asked all 3 clinical s for recommendations and now I feel I can't back down unless there is some special way to hide recommendations in phorcas

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.