letters of recc!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marq_bme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please inform me of the letters requirements at most schools? is it 2 science and 2 non-science? i have 2 coming from research advisors, is that bad? what category do the research advisors go in(im guessing science)? is there a limit to the number of letters? i also may get a recc for a clinical MD for volunteer work...where does that go? some schools i may plan on applying to are: MCW, madison, NU, Uchicago, duke, HST, vanderbilt, JHU, etc...anyone have specific info on the letters required from these schools? any advice on anything mentioned would be great. thank god for SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

here's what i got (total 6)
2 humanity
1 research/engineering class
1 engineering class
1 volunteer
1 job

the volunteer and job one were bascially extra.

you could probably use the 2 research for your science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are really strict and others will let you send whatever you want. You should check out their web sites and contact their admissions offices before you approach people for letters of recommendation. Otherwise you might end up with a great bunch of letters that only certain schools will accept.

Letters from research advisors, for instance, are seldom acceptable substitutes for those from science professors who have taught you in a classroom and given you a grade. Seems pretty lame to me, since a research advisor likely knows you better than some prof who taught you in a class of 300 (like the ones I had at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign), but that's the way it is. Hope this helps.

Hi Marq,

You will also want to get letters that show different sides of you. If you love music and have played in a band, that might be a good supplement to letters from science professors.

Many schools have a limit of 3-5 letters but they will often make exceptions if you ask for one. People have told me that admissions committees get annoyed when you send more than their stated limit, but I have never found this to be the case.

Good luck!

Also, most med schools will want the letters to come from your undergrad's pre-med advisory committee (if your school has one). This advisory committee will read your letters of recc, probably interview you, and then send a cover letter, with the letters attached, to the medical school.