letters of recom.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all lor have to be from attendings? What about chief residents?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my LOR was written by a chief resident and co-signed by the chair of the medicine department. I still got great interviews and matched (somewhere!) I think that was a pretty good situation because I worked with the chief for a month on my AI, so she was able to give details, but it still had the benefit of being signed by the Chair.

One of my LOR was written by a chief resident and co-signed by the chair of the medicine department. I still got great interviews and matched (somewhere!) I think that was a pretty good situation because I worked with the chief for a month on my AI, so she was able to give details, but it still had the benefit of being signed by the Chair.

That's basically the equivalent of writing the letter yourself and having the Chair sign it (which happens a lot). Makes you look good but maybe not the strongest/most honest letter. If it works though, use it.

I think as long as it's signed by the chair, it will help.
The best would be written by the chair, who knows you well, but we all know that doesn't necessarily happen that often.

If you are applying to programs in other regions of the country, the programs will likely not personally know anyone that writes your letters, so they will likely look for as many titles behind the name. While chief residents may appear god-like to some students, but aren't the best choices for letters. Too little experience evluating students to really be useful. It takes more work to get the attendings and title holders, but don't sell yourself short.

If you are applying to programs in other regions of the country, the programs will likely not personally know anyone that writes your letters, so they will likely look for as many titles behind the name. While chief residents may appear god-like to some students, but aren't the best choices for letters. Too little experience evluating students to really be useful. It takes more work to get the attendings and title holders, but don't sell yourself short.

THis isn't necessarily true or completely false.

PD and Deans are tight knit groups. When your PD or Dean is gone to a conference s/he is out with a large number of Deans/PDs. They have 2 or 3 degrees of separation. So getting your letter from your PD means they will know who wrote it, either personally or thru a mutual friend. They will also know what kind of default letters students get. This is also good information to know. If you get a great letter but that is all that person writes is rave reviews, you might want to send it to mommy cause she will love it, others may not be so impressed even if you are worth raving over. As far as residents go not so true.

What about letters from someone who is in his first year as an attending at a really good university hospital? Will they know that he is just in his first year as an attending and will that matter?