Letters of recomendation-help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am in need of ur help pals. Regarding the "letters of recomendation" - which we r supposed to send them along with our application to the dental schools,

1) Can we send notarized Photocopies along with the application?- I am asking this bec'os I have only one original letter and I want to apply for 10 to 15 dental schools!

2) Is it compulsory that each letter should be sealed & attested on the envelopes?- again I am asking this bec'os I didn't get my letter sealed on it from my college!

I am extemely confussed:confused:

(I can call to all 10 to15 dental schools directly & find out, but It would be nice to hear from the friends who had already dealt with this)

Help me with your valuble sugesstions.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I will tell you about (MY CASE ) :

# 1 - Yes ,this is what I did .

#2 - I presented them without envelopes , Just make sure that the copies are also stamped by your school .

BTW . you need 3 DIFFERENT reco letters for each app.

Thanks sam:)

Yes , sam I am aware that I need 3 diff letters.

So. r u telling that the notarized photocopies, need to be stamped (my original letter has my school seal and if I am gonna photocopy it , then my school seal will also be photocopied in the letter, right?) - I didn't understand this part :confused:

I am thinking to get my letter notarized from somebody here- I mean in USA.

sam did u call the dental schools here regarding sending photocopied & notarized letters before sending the application or u just sent them?

Any suggestions guys?:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dentaldoc
Thanks sam:)

Yes , sam I am aware that I need 3 diff letters.

So. r u telling that the notarized photocopies, need to be stamped (my original letter has my school seal and if I am gonna photocopy it , then my school seal will also be photocopied in the letter, right?) - I didn't understand this part :confused:

I am thinking to get my letter notarized from somebody here- I mean in USA.

sam did u call the dental schools here regarding sending photocopied & notarized letters before sending the application or u just sent them?

Yes you can definatly notirize it from someone in USA .I called BU +NYU + UPENN and they all told me that notirized copies are OK .

I thought you are in India ,this is why I told you to stamp the copies from your school .But if you are in the states now ,you can just make copies from the one you have and then notirize them .It will be better if you called the schools to make sure that they accept this procedure .

Originally posted by sam3
Yes you can definatly notirize it from someone in USA .I called BU +NYU + UPENN and they all told me that notirized copies are OK .

I thought you are in India ,this is why I told you to stamp the copies from your school .But if you are in the states now ,you can just make copies from the one you have and then notirize them .It will be better if you called the schools to make sure that they accept this procedure .
---------------------------------

Thanks sam, I am sorry that I didn't explain it clearly.

But now I got it:)

Can any one tell me whether they accept the notarized photocopies of reco letters in California & other schools in which u have applied?

thanks in advance:clap:

Originally posted by dentaldoc
(I can call to all 10 to15 dental schools directly & find out, but It would be nice to hear from the friends who had already dealt with this)

Better call schools to find out. You wouldn't want your application process to be put on hold or to be rejected just because you didn't make sure first.

When schools are too busy with applications, they may not have time to contact each individual and let them know that their application is incomplete. It may take you a while to figure out why your application isn't being processed.

I emailed every school asking that same question. Some, like BU, clearly state in their websites to send the letters in sealed and stamped envelopes. My case was different, 'cause I needed to have translation done.

Hi Dental doc,
as far as I know the schools want sealed original ,not more than 6 months old reco letters.
But if Sam has done it then maybe you can try to.
Take care

During my application process at UCSF I had called them and asked them whether they would accept notarised copies of NDBE score report and they said yes.
But when I sent them the application and didn't hear from them they told me that they wanted official copies.By the time I arranged I sent it,it was too late.
I lost my money and my chance:(

hey ,do all colleges need reco letters not more than 6 months old?
coz i had collected my reco letters a year ago when i left India and came here to the USA as a dependent....please let me know....so i can arrange for a few if that is the case.....

Originally posted by pinktooth
During my application process at UCSF I had called them and asked them whether they would accept notarised copies of NDBE score report and they said yes.
But when I sent them the application and didn't hear from them they told me that they wanted official copies.By the time I arranged I sent it,it was too late.
I lost my money and my chance:(

See?, that's the point I'm trying to get across.

It's better to send every single piece of paper the same way they ask for it, because any single bit can cause your application to be labeled as "incomplete". And when that happens some schools just toss it aside, and never bother to contact the applicant.

Not only for IDP, but for any program where a high volume of applications is being handled.

When is not possible for the applicant to exactly do as the requirements say, you should contact them by email and get a written response to your inquiry. So, that you have a proof of what they agreed.

Since I had to open my letters to translate them, I printed the email each school sent me and included that email in the application packet. So that they remembered that they had allowed me to open them. If they had any doubts, there was the email to prove it.

The same with emails approving the use of notarized copies for NBDE, TOEFL and ECE reports.

I know sometimes is hard to get schools to repply back to you, but you should just call and ask them to please repply to the email you sent them. It worked for me, so it should work for you too.

Thanks guys for the prompt replies........

Looks like sealed & stamped letters are better than the one without, eventhough some schools agree to accept the notarized photocopies......

Pink tooth, sorry to hear that

Meggs, one of my friend applied to boston with photocopied & notarized letter, they accepted it. she is waitlisted now.

I will be happy to hear from the applicants in california dental schools, if they lemme know whether they accept notarized photocopies(reco letters)...........if u don't want to post it here,

Pls PM me. thanks:clap:

Originally posted by meggs
See?, that's the point I'm trying to get across.

It's better to send every single piece of paper the same way they ask for it, because any single bit can cause your application to be labeled as "incomplete". And when that happens some schools just toss it aside, and never bother to contact the applicant.

Not only for IDP, but for any program where a high volume of applications is being handled.

When is not possible for the applicant to exactly do as the requirements say, you should contact them by email and get a written response to your inquiry. So, that you have a proof of what they agreed.

Since I had to open my letters to translate them, I printed the email each school sent me and included that email in the application packet. So that they remembered that they had allowed me to open them. If they had any doubts, there was the email to prove it.

The same with emails approving the use of notarized copies for NBDE, TOEFL and ECE reports.

I know sometimes is hard to get schools to repply back to you, but you should just call and ask them to please repply to the email you sent them. It worked for me, so it should work for you too.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks meggs. it makes sense:clap:

meggs i PM ED U...PLEASE CHECK

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I was wondering if we could send more than three reco letters??
Does anyone know how schools react to that..?

Originally posted by shyam
Hi

they most likely wouldnt care

Originally posted by green emerald
they most likely wouldnt care

Agree. Try to get reco letters from as many people as possible. When application time comes try to narrow down the 3 greatest ones. School usually give a lot of input to deans, department chairs, high profile teachers, etc. The higher the ranking of the teacher that wrote the letter, the better.

And about letters expiration dates..... well, the best answer will only give it the school itself. Some schools don't care and some do. So contact the schools you're interested in and ask them directly.

I don't think they'll mind 1 year old reco letters, 'cause they know some of you have been here for while now without going back home. I don't really think that's an issue for schools (unless the letters are years and years old).

Hi

Hey shyam :)

I had about 5 when I left dental college, I thought it would really impressive to send that many, and then someone told me the schools might see that as being a little desperate (just someone's opinion.. its not necessarily true) .. Plus they may not want to spend any more time in reviewing one person's application than is necessary.

I really wanted to send all 5, but I didn't want to take a chance (even though I WAS desperate! :D ) and narrowed it down to the best 3.

Tasha

Originally posted by ToTaLLy_TaSha
, and then someone told me the schools might see that as being a little desperate (just someone's opinion.. its not necessarily true)

Schools now we're desperate anyway! It's not like we hide it or anything. We keep calling asking about status and such, what messagge do you think that "harrassment" delivers??? Desperado!!!

Originally posted by meggs
Schools now we're desperate anyway! It's not like we hide it or anything. We keep calling asking about status and such, what messagge do you think that "harrassment" delivers??? Desperado!!!

Like I said, I'm just conveying what was told to me.. not a proven fact.

I think the time constraint is the more plausible reason.. no school wants to go through half a dozen letters.. either way I'm glad I sent 3.

Tasha

I heard that some of the colleges require the recommendation letters in their own particular format.does any one know which colleges prefer that way?as far as I know Pittsburg expects the reco in their own format.

neither TUFTS nor BU seem to require that the reco letters be less than a year old. has anyone clarified this with the schools?

hey toothmail.....i clarified with most colleges....and only ucla and ucsf prefer that reco letters be not more than 2 yrs old.uop wants reco letters not more than a year old.(and that they have specified on their website also)...bu,upenn,usc,dont have such specifications....

thanks starwars. :)

here is my particular situation guys.
i do have all the required three recommendation letters but the problem is that all of them have just the signature of the recommender & neither of them have my school stamp nor in a sealed envelope but the real problem is that because of the current situation my country is going through ,its like a hardship that there is no mail system right now and it will take me months to arrange new one so what is your suggestion?do you think schools would be considerate about that?
thanks for the responce.

I'm more or less going through the same problem...with having the reco's but them not being in sealed envelope's!!! Any suggestions..???

Originally posted by toothlord
here is my particular situation guys.
i do have all the required three recommendation letters but the problem is that all of them have just the signature of the recommender & neither of them have my school stamp nor in a sealed envelope but the real problem is that because of the current situation my country is going through ,its like a hardship that there is no mail system right now and it will take me months to arrange new one so what is your suggestion?do you think schools would be considerate about that?
thanks for the responce.
Hi toothlord,
I would suggest that you right a detailed mail to them and save the response they send you.
Hope they accept it.
Take care

I'm more or less going through the same problem...with having the reco's but them not being in sealed envelope's!!! Any suggestions..???
Hi Shyam,
When I was doing some reasearch regarding reco letters on the web, I found the info that generally sealed and stamped envelopes are considered better and more confidential.
You can ask the individual schools and/or if possible give the phone number of the people whose recommendation you are sending and ask them to confirm it if they want.
Hope this helps.
Take care

Thanks pinktooth for tha advice...will call and find out for sure if they will accept that!!

Tooth lord!
You know since your's seems to be a genuine case maybe if you include a detailed letter about the situation and add it in you application..it would be a good idea! I know for sure that that works when applying for a the pass advance education programs.
I'm sure they'll understand youre problem...
Take care buddy...

i called three highly reputed schools which are : tuft,buston,loma linda.
they seem quite flexible about recommendation letters ,they dident require or mention that it must be at least 6 months old or that it must be school stamped.

Thanks guys for all the info.
I will update if there is any new info regarding this :)

iam sorry i missinformed you,only tuft requires the recommendations letters to be in their format in a sealed envelope.
&upenn doesent require recommendation letters.
upitts have a very strict requirements of the recommendation letter,almost identical to that of tuft.

thank you shyam and pinktooth for your help.

Hey,
Does anyone know whether UCSF requires letters of recommendation that are recent (within 6 months to a year) or they don't care . I got mine in mid 2001 so I'm wondering if that's acceptable.

shelly78 said:
Hey,
Does anyone know whether UCSF requires letters of recommendation that are recent (within 6 months to a year) or they don't care . I got mine in mid 2001 so I'm wondering if that's acceptable.
the best thing would be to call them and find out.......i think th etime limit for letters should not matter much......but still u will get the correct and first hand info that way....

my situation is worse. I don't have any reco letters at all and i am already in the united states. I graduated in 1991 which means my teachers most likely are not there anymore and i don't have anybody to run around for me to find them in that big city. Another thing, i know that those people in my country would want you to kiss their a@*! if you need favors like that from them. I actually dont know what to do right now.

Thanks starwars. Molarsupport, you can ask some of your friends or relatives to do the running around for you. If that's not possible talk to the school you're interested in applying to and explain your situation. Good luck.

i suggest that you go back to your country and try to fix it up, invest 2000$ in your career, its better than waiting another year.
letters of recommendation is a formality, you have to get them.

hey guys,
upenn does not seem to require reco letters.is anyone applying or has previously applied to upenn?
i am thinking of sending them the reco letters that i have inspite of them not requiring them....
i am wondering what would their impression be about that....will they feel that i am too desperate to get in so i am sending them the letters inspite of the fact that they arent required..... :confused:
is there anyone who is or has applied to upenn along with reco letters?
please help
thanks...

Hi Starwars,
I don't know from where you got the info that UPenn doesnot require reco letters.
All the schools in US I suppose require reco letters.
You need to send them three reco letters,one from the Dean of your dental college,second from a staff who has taught you and third from someone of your choice.
Check your info again .take care

Hello guys,
I called to all schools with IDP & most of the schools are flexible regarding reco letters!(means we can send notarized copies) :) ..But only UCSF recomends it in a sealed envelope(they said notarized copies may be sent) :rolleyes:

hey pinktooth,
i called up upenn and the lady there told me that recommendation letter is not their requirement.
also have a look at their website.....i could not find any statement there saying any need for reco letters.....
but i think i will still send them .....so if anyone wants to send shud go ahead and send but it is not on their requirement list.....

Thanks for clearing my misconception

pinktooth said:
Thanks for clearing my misconception
hey thats ok....
so all set for BU :)
all the best... :thumbup: