• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

letters of recommendation committee package letters

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
    If a school asks for 3 letters of rec, will letters of recommendation committee package count as all 3 or as one?

Typically schools will require either a committee letter or 3 individual letters if your school doesn't offer committee letters. So yes the committee packet will count as all three.

No, No, No, One requirement has nothing to do with the other

Lets clear this up since applicants confuse it all the time: You follow one of the following

If you are using a committee letter, the requirements are set by the undergraduate institution. The number of individual letters attached does not matter as that is not a requirement you need to fill
    OR
    If you are sending in individual letters, the requirements are set by each medical school

You do not need to follow the requirements for individual letters if you are using a committee letter. For a committee letter you follow the policy of your own undergraduate institution

Reactions: 1 users
    About the Ads

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
    2+ Year Member
    Jan 27, 2017
      No, No, No, One requirement has nothing to do with the other

Lets clear this up since applicants confuse it all the time: You follow one of the following

If you are using a committee letter, the requirements are set by the undergraduate institution. The number of individual letters attached does not matter as that is not a requirement you need to fill
      OR
      If you are sending in individual letters, the requirements are set by each medical school

You do not need to follow the requirements for individual letters if you are using a committee letter. For a committee letter you follow the policy of your own undergraduate institution

Isn't that what he's saying?

He seems to be saying that he's following ONE of the choices. By having his undergrad submit a CL, that fulfills the req't, essentially meaning that the one CL is equal to (actually better than) submitting 3 LORs.

Reactions: 1 user

gyngyn

Alta California
      Staff member
      Administrator
      Volunteer Staff
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
    • Nov 4, 2011
      1. Attending Physician

He seems to be saying that he's following ONE of the choices. By having his undergrad submit a CL, that fulfills the req't, essentially meaning that the one CL is equal to (actually better than) submitting 3 LORs.
        I'll bet he wants to send the Committee letter and two more!

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student

No, he is saying it as since the three letters are in the committee letter, it counts as the three individual letters and that is NOT how it works. I emphasize this because premeds always seem to connect the two, committee and individual letters and my point is they are separate. If the premed committee chose to write an eval and NOT attached any letters, which some still do, it would still most medical school's requirement. Being precise is required for physicians so perhaps being precise in understanding the process in applying to medical school is a good place to start

gyngyn

Alta California
          Staff member
          Administrator
          Volunteer Staff
          Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
        • Nov 4, 2011
          1. Attending Physician
            Really? I thought he was correctly saying that the CL will count in lieu of the 3 LORs (and the CL might or might not have the 3 LORs packaged behind the CL, as some schools do).
            His phraseology leaves all of us wondering...

hellohelpwithfuture

2+ Year Member
            Jan 25, 2017
            1. Other Health Professions Student
              So this is really what I was asking (which I am a she). After undergrad I went to a pretty good master's program. So I am wondering if I can get the CL from my undergrad (and that count as one) and then 2 individual letters from my master's program?

Last edited:

Pipette Pusher

2+ Year Member
              Jun 28, 2017
              1. Pre-Medical
                So this is really what I was asking (which I am a she). After undergrad I went to a pretty good master's program. So I am wondering if I can get the CL from my undergrad (and that count as one) and then 2 individual letters from my master's program?

Typically when you ask for a committee letter, you will send the committee your letters of recommendation and they will compile the information for you. So in your case, you will send your committee the 2 letters of recommendation from your masters program and other letters of your choosing. I would look up the specific requirements for your committee letter.

There is no need to send a committee letter and additional individual letters. School require either or. Most people only send individual letters if their undergraduate institution doesn't offer committee letters. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post.

bioboy23

2+ Year Member
                Jan 22, 2017
                1. Medical Student
                  Typically when you ask for a committee letter, you will send the committee your letters of recommendation and they will compile the information for you. So in your case, you will send your committee the 2 letters of recommendation from your masters program and other letters of your choosing. I would look up the specific requirements for your committee letter.

There is no need to send a committee letter and additional individual letters. School require either or. Most people only send individual letters if their undergraduate institution doesn't offer committee letters. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post.

This really cleared things up for me too. Thank you for the simple explanation!

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.