letters of recommendation committee package letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellohelpwithfuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school asks for 3 letters of rec, will letters of recommendation committee package count as all 3 or as one?

Members don't see this ad.

Typically schools will require either a committee letter or 3 individual letters if your school doesn't offer committee letters. So yes the committee packet will count as all three.

No, No, No, One requirement has nothing to do with the other

Lets clear this up since applicants confuse it all the time: You follow one of the following

If you are using a committee letter, the requirements are set by the undergraduate institution. The number of individual letters attached does not matter as that is not a requirement you need to fill
OR
If you are sending in individual letters, the requirements are set by each medical school

You do not need to follow the requirements for individual letters if you are using a committee letter. For a committee letter you follow the policy of your own undergraduate institution

Isn't that what he's saying?

He seems to be saying that he's following ONE of the choices. By having his undergrad submit a CL, that fulfills the req't, essentially meaning that the one CL is equal to (actually better than) submitting 3 LORs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that what he's saying?

He seems to be saying that he's following ONE of the choices. By having his undergrad submit a CL, that fulfills the req't, essentially meaning that the one CL is equal to (actually better than) submitting 3 LORs.
I'll bet he wants to send the Committee letter and two more!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll bet he wants to send the Committee letter and two more!

Really? I thought he was correctly saying that the CL will count in lieu of the 3 LORs (and the CL might or might not have the 3 LORs packaged behind the CL, as some schools do).

Really? I thought he was correctly saying that the CL will count in lieu of the 3 LORs (and the CL might or might not have the 3 LORs packaged behind the CL, as some schools do).
His phraseology leaves all of us wondering...

So this is really what I was asking (which I am a she). After undergrad I went to a pretty good master's program. So I am wondering if I can get the CL from my undergrad (and that count as one) and then 2 individual letters from my master's program?

Last edited:
So this is really what I was asking (which I am a she). After undergrad I went to a pretty good master's program. So I am wondering if I can get the CL from my undergrad (and that count as one) and then 2 individual letters from my master's program?

Typically when you ask for a committee letter, you will send the committee your letters of recommendation and they will compile the information for you. So in your case, you will send your committee the 2 letters of recommendation from your masters program and other letters of your choosing. I would look up the specific requirements for your committee letter.

There is no need to send a committee letter and additional individual letters. School require either or. Most people only send individual letters if their undergraduate institution doesn't offer committee letters. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post.

So I can send like 1 master's letter to my undergrad and it will be included in the package?

So I can send like 1 master's letter to my undergrad and it will be included in the package?

This is a question you should ask your school's committee members, or a prehealth advisor there.

But yes, probably.

Typically when you ask for a committee letter, you will send the committee your letters of recommendation and they will compile the information for you. So in your case, you will send your committee the 2 letters of recommendation from your masters program and other letters of your choosing. I would look up the specific requirements for your committee letter.

There is no need to send a committee letter and additional individual letters. School require either or. Most people only send individual letters if their undergraduate institution doesn't offer committee letters. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my first post.

This really cleared things up for me too. Thank you for the simple explanation!