Letters of Recommendation for Nontrads? Which schools don't require 2 science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lefty Doodle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to give me a tongue lashing for this but I really haven't been able to find this info.

I graduated from undergrad 5 years ago (almost 6!) and am doing a 1 year quickie postbac at a large public university. Basically this means that only one of my professors (physiology lab) knows my name (I've had him for 2 courses already--a 3rd next semester!!). My orgo prof knows me from review sessions (weekly) but all this means is that he actually knows how bad I am at organic ;-).

In the interceding 5 years though I worked for 3 years in public health and my bosses (2 different jobs) loved me, so I have 2 good ones from that.

So anyway I am compiling a list of schools who don't require the 2 science prof LOR's. So far it looks like Mayo, U of MN, Stanford, and Georgetown for sure don't. I haven't gone through the whole list though. Did anyone else have the experience of only being able to submit 1 science LOR and do you remember any schools friendly to that? Should I try and write to some of these other schools and ask for an exception? I was thinking of asking my orgo TA for an LOR but that won't cut it for some of these places.

Members don't see this ad.

Most places either require 2 letters or you can provide 1 from a premedical advisor committee. This is the only way I have seen one letter be acceptable.

I mean one letter from a science prof--not one letter total. The places I listed don't actually require 2+ recommenders to be science profs, they can be employers.

So anyway I am compiling a list of schools who don't require the 2 science prof LOR's. So far it looks like Mayo, U of MN, Stanford, and Georgetown for sure don't. I haven't gone through the whole list though. Did anyone else have the experience of only being able to submit 1 science LOR and do you remember any schools friendly to that? Should I try and write to some of these other schools and ask for an exception? I was thinking of asking my orgo TA for an LOR but that won't cut it for some of these places.

Rush takes any two letters.

I suspect that most schools will be receptive to a request for an exception--I had a similar problem (one letter from my bio prof and one from my bio lab instructor since my orgo prof letter fell through).