This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sameffect

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be applying for Dental School in the upcoming cycle. I am getting a LOR from an instructor at my 4 year university and another from a dentist. For my third letter, I was thinking about asking my chemistry professor (PhD) whom I have kept in contact with for over 3 years now. She knows me really well and I am positive that she will write me a very good LOR.

However, I don't know how dental schools view LORs and whether they will discriminate a cc vs 4 year university.

Should I ask her for a LOR or stick to another professor from the 4 year university? What advice would you guys give?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely get the third letter of rec from the professor that knows you well at the cc! It is most important that they speak to your good qualities, it doesn't matter what school they teach at. Anecdotally, two of my letters were from cc professors and I had no difficulty getting interviews/acceptances with my letters.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same question last year! I don't think they would discriminate a cc at all. I, along with many of my classmates, got LORs from our cc professors. If anything, I remember someone saying that the letter should be from someone with a phd and you're good to go with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of my LoR were from CC profs. I think it really helped my application bc they were able to tell schools what kind of person and student I was. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Everything will work out in the end.

A good letter of rec from a professor that actually knows you is much more important than how fancy the school they teach at. Many professors from big name research universities are only there to do research, and consider teaching a chore, and so they couldn't teach their way out of a paper bag. A well written personal letter will make your application stand out. 2 of mine were both from community college professors who I got to know well during their classes.

Now that I'm the one actually reviewing applications for my program, its very easy to tell when you just asked a random professor who's class you did well in to write you a letter, and they do nothing for your application.

So in conclusion, yes, get that letter!

Getting an lor from a cc “proff” is as impressive as taking prereqs from a cc vs a bonafide university.