Letters of Recommendation Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalGirl5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I've researched a bit about this topic but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I read somewhere that starting this cycle, the portal would allow us to send specific letters to specific schools versus uploading the general "limit of 4" letters to send to all schools. I have 5 letters (2 sci, 2 non-sci, 1 dentist) and there are a couple schools where I'd like to choose which non-sci letter I send (so sending 4 total). Any advice on how to get about uploading more than 4 letters? Was the rumor not true?
Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to call the individual schools and ask if they will accept letters sent directly to them. If the schools are fine with that, upload the 3 letters that you want to send to every school, then take care of the other 2 letters to the appropriate schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I realized that I could only upload 4 LORs a couple of weeks before the school year ended. I was scrambling... I had to consolidate. Annoying. There should be a limit of 6... Or 5 at the very least. It's such a pain to customize! I have two bio letters, a chem letter, and one from my dentist. I'm a psych minor and wanted to include a psych letter as a non-science reference, but it's too much of a hassle. Smh

Last edited:
Exactly! Aww that sucks :( I have a letter of rec that I can't even use now and I feel terrible because the teacher has written it :( I'm probably just going to have her mail it out to a few schools and supply the envelopes and stamps and stuff for her, lol. She's such a great woman and teacher so I'd feel so bad! Maybe you should get that letter after all and just have them mail it out?

Exactly! Aww that sucks :( I have a letter of rec that I can't even use now and I feel terrible because the teacher has written it :( I'm probably just going to have her mail it out to a few schools and supply the envelopes and stamps and stuff for her, lol. She's such a great woman and teacher so I'd feel so bad! Maybe you should get that letter after all and just have them mail it out?

I attached my extra letter to an email and the schools were happy to accept. I didn't even ask for permission first since I figured that if they don't want to/can't put it in my file, they would just disregard the email. Just make sure to put your name and AADSAS ID in your email.

I knew you were going to get 5 letters and have this problem.

Last edited:
I attached my extra letter to an email and the schools were happy to accept. I didn't even ask for permission first since I figured that if they don't want to/can't put it in my file, they would just disregard the email. Just make sure to put your name and AADSAS ID in your email.

Wow, thanks so much! That definitely makes things a bit easier. What did you title the email and include in the body along with your ID to make it un-awkward? lol :)

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-3_18-0-29.png
    upload_2015-6-3_18-0-29.png
    95 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much! That definitely makes things a bit easier. What did you title the email and include in the body along with your ID to make it un-awkward? lol :)

Title: Name - recommedation letter

My name, interest in the school, etc. It ain't rocket science, don't nitpick so much.

but isn't professor suppose to send extra LOR directly to school since it's confidential and students are not suppose to see it? If you send it in email like you said, it will be sent by student??

I'm sure the professor can send it in the same format

but isn't professor suppose to send extra LOR directly to school since it's confidential and students are not suppose to see it? If you send it in email like you said, it will be sent by student??

LOR doesn't have to confidential for dental school.

So student can send it with signed letter by professor?

What do you mean by "send it with signed letter by professor"? Prof just emails you his/her letter as an attachment and you just write an email to schools saying you've attached another LOR from so and so.

Hey guys!
So I've researched a bit about this topic but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I read somewhere that starting this cycle, the portal would allow us to send specific letters to specific schools versus uploading the general "limit of 4" letters to send to all schools. I have 5 letters (2 sci, 2 non-sci, 1 dentist) and there are a couple schools where I'd like to choose which non-sci letter I send (so sending 4 total). Any advice on how to get about uploading more than 4 letters? Was the rumor not true?
Thanks everyone!!
If your school has a committee program, which involves an interview and subsequent committee letter of rec from them, they can review all other outside LORs and upload them all with their own committee letter to AADSAS. I did this last year and had a total of 6 outside letters plus the committee LOR. It packet only counts as one LOR.

Of course, it is summer, and obtaining a committee LOR would need to be seeked during the beginning of the spring semester and may be difficult/improbable during this part of the year, if your school offers such a service.

Thank you for your thoughtful response! It is a bit late for me, but nonetheless, it should help others who are looking to apply next year. I think I'll just email the letter. Thank you again :)

Thanks for making this thread! I really hope AADSAS finds a way to streamline this aspect of the LOR process

I think they said you will be able to send them to specific schools starting next cycle :(