Letters of Recommendation; multiple copies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elfman5150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of applying through AMCAS, and have gotten a few letters written from my science professors. I know that they need to mail the letters to AMCAS, but what I couldn't find out was how many copies I need per letter. If I am applying to 4 MD schools, does each professor have to write 4 letters? Or are the letters, once received by AMCAS, then copied there before they are sent off to each medical school? So in a nutshell, do I need multiple copies of each letter per MD school, or only one?

Thanks a bunch. Just took the MCAT yesterday so my brain is still a bit....hurting.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of applying through AMCAS, and have gotten a few letters written from my science professors. I know that they need to mail the letters to AMCAS, but what I couldn't find out was how many copies I need per letter. If I am applying to 4 MD schools, does each professor have to write 4 letters? Or are the letters, once received by AMCAS, then copied there before they are sent off to each medical school? So in a nutshell, do I need multiple copies of each letter per MD school, or only one?

Thanks a bunch. Just took the MCAT yesterday so my brain is still a bit....hurting.

I highly recommend having them send digital copies instead of paper copies. Then you don't have to worry about mailing (delays!).
https://www.aamc.org/students/advisors/amcas-advisors/370390/amcas-letters-advisors.html

If you must send in a paper copy, the way AMCAS describes it sounds like they only need 1.

Something to consider is a service like Interfolio. They give your LOR writers a way to submit confidential letters (you never see them) electronically, via fax, or postal mail to a central portfolio that you control. That way, you can forward the letters on to as many places as you might want.

Since I applied MD and DO, it was good to be able to send the letters to both services, without having to ask writers to submit multiple copies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. One of my professors just emailed me this morning saying he sent his letter, and right afterward I got a response from AMCAS saying the received it; I guess he used interfolio or something.
Thanks again for the info. Now I wish that AACOMAS did the same thing...

For AACOMAS it is best to set up an Interfolio account. Your writers can submit directly to them once and you can send the letters as many times as necessary. I doubt your professor used interfolio for your AMCAS letter if you didn't already have an account. He probably sent it electronically straight to AMCAS.

Ok, so one more question. For AACOMAS, which doesn't directly deal with the LORs, do I wait until my primary application is submitted to the medical schools, and then send the LOR afterward (i.e. if I get a secondary application)? I'll be submitting my primary by next week, and feel like it wouldn't make sense to send in the LORs until I've at least sent that.

DO schools request the LOR individually, which is why Interfolio is perfect.

So what's the difference between interfolio and the AMCAS letter writer application (for MD programs)?

So what's the difference between interfolio and the AMCAS letter writer application (for MD programs)?

Interfolio: you have an account and letter writers send their letters to your account. You can't open the files, but you can then send those letters to wherever you want (schools, AMCAS, jobs, etc). The files will be stored in your Interfolio account as long as you have the account.

AMCAS letter writer application: letter writers send to AMCAS. if you then need those letters given to some other organization, you have to request that your letter writers send them each time / to every location. Puts a greater burden on your letter writers if you are planning to use their letters for more than just AMCAS. Also, if you don't get in this year (fingers crossed that doesn't happen), AMCAS does not keep your letters.

Reactions: 1 user