Letters of Recommendation on Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpenguin65

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about letters of recommendations and securing them on aways. In general, it seems difficult (when with a new attending here or there for 1-3 days) as compared to letters from research/home institution. How important are letters of recommendation from another institution and how important is the geographic relevance of that letter (vs just putting that you did an away in location X on ERAS?).

My current situation is:
#1 LOR from Chair at home
#2 LOR from PD at home (lesser known)
#3 LOR from research mentor #1 (well known)

#4 LOR from research mentor #2 (lesser known)
#5 LOR from East Coast away PD

Essentially, my plan was to submit the first three letters to all schools and then swap in #4 or #5 depending. However, I am doing aways on the West coast and wonder if it is worth trying to get one from a shorter/lesser known encounter.

Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question about letters of recommendations and securing them on aways. In general, it seems difficult (when with a new attending here or there for 1-3 days) as compared to letters from research/home institution. How important are letters of recommendation from another institution and how important is the geographic relevance of that letter (vs just putting that you did an away in location X on ERAS?).

My current situation is:
#1 LOR from Chair at home
#2 LOR from PD at home (lesser known)
#3 LOR from research mentor #1 (well known)

#4 LOR from research mentor #2 (lesser known)
#5 LOR from East Coast away PD

Essentially, my plan was to submit the first three letters to all schools and then swap in #4 or #5 depending. However, I am doing aways on the West coast and wonder if it is worth trying to get one from a shorter/lesser known encounter.

Any advice appreciated!

In general, you are going to want to put your best letters forward which for you would be #1, 2, and 3.

If the East Coast away PD is particularly well known, you may want to substitute #5 for #3 for programs that are close to the East Coast PD. I also think it would be worthwhile to try and get a letter from your West Coast aways and substitute accordingly.

In general, most programs are going to want to see letters #1 and #2 so #3 might be the only one you are swapping out.