Letters of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBakedGoods

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need advice from people who are more experienced than I am...

I'm applying to PhD and Top PsyD programs for next fall... I have one recommendation that should be stellar, comes from a respected professor who knows me personally, professionally, and in a research capacity. My second recommendation should also be pretty good.

My Dilemma:
My third recommendation can either come from my research advisor who I've only known a short period of time (< 4 months), but comes from a highly respected research group and volunteered to write me one without me even asking.
OR I can get a recommendation from an adjunct professor who no longer works at my school. I was her TA, worked closely with her for over 2 years, very close with her family and everything now. She thinks the world of me etc...

I'm 100% sure that the Adjunt recommendation would be my best recommendation in terms of making me seem like an ideal candidate and explaining how great of a doctoral student I can be.
HOWEVER, i've heard from a couple of professors that because she is only an adjunct (though she has a PhD) and no longer works at the school. This recommendation will not hold the same weight that the recommendation from a research advisor will that may not be as glowing.

What do you guys think? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to PhD and Top PsyD programs for next fall... I have one recommendation that should be stellar, comes from a respected professor who knows me personally, professionally, and in a research capacity. My second recommendation should also be pretty good.

My Dilemma:
My third recommendation can either come from my research advisor who I've only known a short period of time (< 4 months), but comes from a highly respected research group and volunteered to write me one without me even asking.
OR I can get a recommendation from an adjunct professor who no longer works at my school. I was her TA, worked closely with her for over 2 years, very close with her family and everything now. She thinks the world of me etc...

I'm 100% sure that the Adjunt recommendation would be my best recommendation in terms of making me seem like an ideal candidate and explaining how great of a doctoral student I can be.
HOWEVER, i've heard from a couple of professors that because she is only an adjunct (though she has a PhD) and no longer works at the school. This recommendation will not hold the same weight that the recommendation from a research advisor will that may not be as glowing.

Honestly...I'd go with the new research advisor, especially since he or she offered to write the letter. Names matter.

My Dilemma:

Is there a reason you think the research advisor wouldn't write you a glowing letter of rec? Even if they haven't known you as long, they can likely speak to your research skills, which PhD programs especially value. I'd just imagine that if they offered to write you a letter, they probably feel confident they can write you a strong one. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)