eulogia228

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Status
I did a search for LORs and math professors and read the relevant threads and it looks like med schools include all math/stat classes in the BCPM GPA but won't accept "science" letters of recommendation from math/stat professors? Is this the case? I was thinking about asking my stats professor from last year for a letter because we developed a good rapport and because I did pretty well in the course. I still find it hard to believe that all math/stat courses count in my "science" GPA but the letter from my stat professor doesn't count as a "science" letter.

Soleilpie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Florida
Status
I'm glad you asked this question because I was thinking about asking my calc instructor to write me a LOR. The only thing is, she doesn't have a PhD. I wonder if that matters? Anyone have any info regarding this?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Yeah that is kind of weird....if you did get the LOR from your calc prof, it would still look very good, only i think you're right in that it wont count as a "science" LOR...im sure the school also asks for non-science LOR's?

antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Is there a consensus on how many and what type of LORs are asked for by most med schools? I know there are probably slight variations from school to school, but if I want to start collecting early, what's a good "set" to aim for that will be sufficient for most places? I tried searching for this information in MSAR, but couldn't find anything more specific than that schools DO ask for LORs, especially from profs. Is this info given in secondaries?

CalGoldenBear

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
the general rule seems to be to have at least three letters: two from science professors (some schools are really specific that they have to be in the chemistry or biology department) and one non-science professor. also, its helpful to have letters from anything you were really involved in, like research, volunteering, work. the numbers of letters requested range from 2 (like NYU) to at least 3 and up to 5 or 6 (ex. most UCs, Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, etc.) Most schools have a minimum number required, which would be the 3 i mentioned above (2 science, 1 non-science or research/extra-curricular) and allow you to send in extra to support your app; others will be strict about only wanting how many they request and won't read extra letters. it really varies from school to school, and they tell you on the secondary what they want.

OP
E

eulogia228

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Status
That REALLY sucks. I can't believe that they'll count all math classes in the science GPA, but won't accept a math professor's rec as a science recommendation. Talk about being hypocrites.

manboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Status
Medical Student
Where did you read that? I'm a math major and so most of the professors that know me well are math professors so what am I supposed to do?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Yeah that kinda sux....I guess try and get to know your science profs as well, since Im assuming you're also taking your science prereqs?

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Did anyone else have problems getting non-science lors?
I was a dual-major bios and physics and came in with enough AP's that I took all my other non-science courses in my freshman year!(including math) I ended up fudging a bit and taking weight-lifting as a course so that my coach (varsity athletics four years-so a good reference) could count as an instructor.