Letters of Recommendation Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrCo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The phrasing on school websites regarding letters of recommendation is a bit confusing. I have a committee letter that contains 1 overall letter made up from 5 individual professors. How should I go about interpreting the following:

Duke: "Four letters of recommendation are required (two from science faculty). A committee letter may serve as one letter." - Does this mean I need 3 additional letters included besides the committee letter?

Georgetown: "The committee on admissions requires a signed appraisal of your character and ability preferably from your premedical advisor or premedical committee. You must submit a minimum of two letters of recommendation" - Same question here, are they counting committee letter as 5 letters or only as 1?

and the most confusing one.. UF: "A letter packet submitted by an undergrad institution is treated by AMCAS as 1 letter. UF requires of minimum of 3 letters. A pre-health advising committee letter/packet will fulfill our letter requirements" - If they require three letters, and a committee letter serves as one letter how can that fulfill their requirements???

Maybe I'm over thinking all of this, but the wording can be confusing. Thanks everyone for your help.

BrCo

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely over thinking the UF one. They're just telling you that AMCAS treats the committee letter as 1 entry but that it satisfies all their requirements