Letters of Recommendation submission timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wippery

Reaction score
Okay I am SO confused on this, and I can't find a definitive answer.
Currently I have 2 LORs in with a third being submitted tomorrow (per the writer). My fourth is not in yet, but I know I need to submit it as it is one of two science professors. I haven't heard from him yet, but I sent a reminder email this morning. My application is NOT verified yet, but it should be verified tonight or tomorrow. I currently have one school entered with no LORs added.

My question is: can I add my full list of schools and not add ANY LORs and still have them view my primary without any LORs added? And let's say they can see it, and they send me a secondary. At that point do I resubmit the primary with my LORs once they're all ready? Also: If I add my 3 letters and submit, can I go back and add the fourth later? I am just so confused about this process, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. My school list is ready and I know what letters are going where. I just don't want to risk adding that fourth letter and have him ghost me and not send it. Basically, can I edit the LORs once the school has viewed my primary?

I really want to have my primary ready tomorrow since I anticipate that's when it will be verified. I submitted late 6/12 and AMCAS is already verifying apps from that day. I just don't know what to do. I am afraid I'll end up stuck not being able to add more letters OR throwing my primary back to the bottom of the pile by resubmitting with letters later on.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is you can add LORs later, and technically only need all the LORs by the time you submit secondaries. So you don't have to add this letter right now if you aren't certain. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the poster above.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is you can add LORs later, and technically only need all the LORs by the time you submit secondaries. So you don't have to add this letter right now if you aren't certain. I could be wrong though.

Do you know anything about how adding LORs affects the order the application is received in? For example, if I add a LOR next week, will the school see my application as received that day or still on July 10 when it was initially sent? Hope that makes sense!

Do you know anything about how adding LORs affects the order the application is received in? For example, if I add a LOR next week, will the school see my application as received that day or still on July 10 when it was initially sent? Hope that makes sense!
I'm pretty sure editing/adding LORs wouldn't delay the transmission of your primaries. :)