Letters of recommendation: suspicious mail

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gower, Oct 18, 2001.

1. gower

gower 1K Member

FYI: The following message to premedical advisors was sent by the admissions office at Harvard, but it applies for all medical schools and for all postal communication with all medical schools.

Many applicants have individual letters of recommendation sent directly to an admissions office by the evaluator. Often, applicants provide these evaluators with stamped, addressed envelopes without a return address. Because many evaluators leave the return address blank when using these envelopes, we receive a signiciant number of letters without return addresses every day.

These letters fit our campus police department's definition of suspicious mail and now require special handling at our mail desk. As you can imagine, they also cause our harried mail staff considerable anxiety!

Please consider giving your students a gentle reminder that return addresses are absolutely essential for important documents being sent through the mail.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

Dr Gower:

Nice to hear from you again. I haven't seen any posts from you for quite a while, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!

I wanted to take the opportunity to say thanks on behalf of all of us frazzled AMCAS 2002 applicants. You have often been a voice of reason and informed advice.

People such as yourself are what make SDN the great place that it is.

Spang