Letters of recommendation who has more value?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herkulease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking prereqs classes at a CC. Well retaking them. I took most of them my freshmen and sophmore year of college during the early days of the Dubya Years.

I'd return to my university for a 2nd bachelors if it was for budget cuts which closed 2nd bac admissions and me applying 1 semester sooner.

excuses aside, would getting LOR from CC teachers be deemed lesser than getting from my university professors? I doubt they'll even remember me after all these years. The CC teachers obviously have more recent experience with me.

I figure LORs from CC teachers, plus from the dentist I was shadowing in the fall and the one I have lined up for this spring and maybe my boss would be far better than LORs from my old university professors which will probably be generalized and won't be as personal as the others.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

excuses aside, would getting LOR from CC teachers be deemed lesser than getting from my university professors? I doubt they'll even remember me after all these years. The CC teachers obviously have more recent experience with me.

What would your guess be?

I felt similar when I was getting my LORs lined up, in that by the time that I applied (this cycle) I was 3 years out of undergrad and had finished my masters degree (from a less prestigious school than undergrad) and I felt that most of my undergrad profs wouldn't remember me. I made the decision to go through the health professions committee at my undergrad where they looked at all aspects of what I have done during and after my years there and put together a packet and letter for me.
I did have 1 professor who I had touched bases with a few times after graduating and so I also got a letter from him. Otherwise I had 1 letter from the dean of my masters program, and 2 from docs that I am doing research with... So if you don't have a committee at your school like I did, I would recommend getting into touch with at least one professor from undergrad and work on getting letters from those who have been with you post-undergrad in any aspects of work, volunteer, and school.