Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sashka1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i plan on submitting my app in june (taking may mcat) or so, now is about the time to start asking for LOR's. Is it beneficial to ask physicians for LOR's?
Here's the deal: I shadowed (and will continue to shadow) a surgeon at a well respected school, both in the OR and in the clinic. I've logged approximately 50 hours with him so far, asked questions and seemed genuinely interested in what he does. In the clinic, we got to know a bit about each other, he asked about my outside of school interests, etc. His son is just about my age.
Do you guys/girls think it's worth it to ask him for a LOR? Also, he was the one who actually invited me to shadow him (my mom cuts his hair), and he is incredibly open and welcoming.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be a good letter since he actually knows you a bit. Just make sure you talk to him a little bit about your motivations for entering medicine. The concern is when people ask for LOR's from physicians they shadowed who don't really know them that well and can't write a personal and/or strong letter.

Also, on kind of a side note, make sure you have some shadowing in other specialties as well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had two physician LORs. Just make sure to provide them with a CV/your personal statement if they will do it for you. It'll give them even more insight as to who you are.

It would be a good LOR, but LORs from physicians you shadowed don't carry that much weight unless they taught you in a course or you did research with them.

It would be a good LOR, but LORs from physicians you shadowed don't carry that much weight unless they taught you in a course or you did research with them.

I agree with this, I didn't include any letts from docs I shadowed... although @sashka1, it sounds like you put in a lot of effort to establish that relationship. It'd probably be wise to do the same thing with the folks who will be writing you letters if you decide not to have this surgeon write for you.

Good luck! :peeking: