Oct 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
So, I have worked in this non Science related job (coffee shop) for 2 years now since I graduated. I was wondering if I should ask my manager to write a letter of recommendation for me. He knows me really well, and has great things he could say about me, like my leadership skills, communication skills etc. I was wondering since its not a science field is it looked down upon on?

BeaverLover

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Absolutely go for it, if they know you really well then chances are they'll have more to say about who you truly are which is one of the reasons why adcoms want letters, right?

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
IMHO, I think an LOR written by someone who knows you well and can speak positively about you in a personal way is much better than a generic LOR that's written by a science professor who doesn't know their student as well. And like you said, he could speak on behalf of your leadership and communication skills, so I think you should go ahead and ask :). Science or non-science, it doesn't matter unless the school specifically states that they require an LOR from a science professor.

HelicaseInitiator

2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Status
Dental Student
@xkc9126x I do not think it is biased, I think it can only help your chances of having someone who attended the dental school that you are applying to write on your behalf. All of my dentists who wrote for me went to the same dental school that I have applied too.

Last edited:
Reactions: xkc9126x