Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrdnshaffer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of schools require letters from teachers in the natural science department or committees. He school in which I attend you rarely have a professor more than once or they are so consumed in their own research that they won’t even meet with students.
My question is would a letter from the president of a university count towards anything or be helpful? Or even leaders in the community / state such as governors or mayors or congressman ? I’m about to take the DAT at the end of July and am looking to get LOR’s done before hand. So who should I go to?
Thanks for any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed a lot of schools require letters from teachers in the natural science department or committees. He school in which I attend you rarely have a professor more than once or they are so consumed in their own research that they won’t even meet with students.
My question is would a letter from the president of a university count towards anything or be helpful? Or even leaders in the community / state such as governors or mayors or congressman ? I’m about to take the DAT at the end of July and am looking to get LOR’s done before hand. So who should I go to?
Thanks for any suggestions
I think dental schools are pretty straight-forward in what they are looking for. Alternatively, you could check with the schools you applied to and find out for sure what they will accept. Good luck.

I mean they will accept it as a non science professor letter but not instead of getting a science professor writing a letter for you. The reason why is because they want someone to advocate for your academic strength. The president of the University or leaders in a community can't write to your academic strength in science the same way as your professor can.