General Admissions & OTCAS Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katieOT23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just had a quick question about LORs.

I will be applying in the upcoming cycle - 2019-2020 OTCAS and was just wondering if I should ask for letters of recommendation prior to the application opening.

This next question also might sound a little dumb, but can I just submit the letter or is there like an evaluation sheet that my professor/OT will have to fill out? I am just asking for when I email them asking about the LOR.

Final Question: Is it appropriate to ask for a coach to write a letter of rec? I am currently a division 1 swimmer and feel that he could portray my character very well. I am just not sure if his LOR would be "allowed".

Thank you so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I personally waited to ask for my LORs until the application was open because they will actually be submitted directly to OTCAS! You won’t actually have the LOR in your hands, they will be submitted directly from the people who write them. There is also a survey section that they fill out online as well. There is info on that on the website! However, I would definitely ask sooner than later as some people take longer than other to write and submit letters.

As for the letter from your coach, I say go for it. As long as you have professional and academic references as well, a letter from a coach who knows you well and can vouch for your character sounds like a great boost for your application. Best of luck!

Hi there! I asked for my letters a few months prior to the application so that as soon as it opened they were able to upload. They will submit the letters for you. When you add their information to OTCAS they will get a link to upload to. I would agree with the above user, ask the coach! My LOR were 2 OT, 2 professors and 1 coworker from a seasonal college job. Ask anyone (within reason in terms of relationship) who can attest to your character and abilities to become an OT. Good luck!

If I were you I'd give your LOR writers a heads up so that they can begin writing the letter before the cycle opens and then right when the cycle opens in July you'll be able to get them to upload and submit the letter immediately. This will prevent any delays to your app submission.

I think LORs are submitted through OTCAS unless the schools specified a hardcopy. Some schools may even ask for you to fill out a supplementary eval sheet, which you'll upload and submit according to their guidelines.

Every program requires different LOR writers, some may ask specifically for OTs, supervisors, professors, etc. If your coach fits under any of the required criteria in the programs you're planning to apply, then I'd go for it :) Good luck!