letters of recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bucky, Jan 7, 2000.

1. bucky

bucky Junior Member

I'm an older applicant (31) and have been out of school for 6 years. I'm looking for suggestions as to who to obtain letters of rec from. I work in science and can get great recs form my Ph.D. employers but I imagine I should get a letter from a D.O. or M.D. I've shadowed docs but nothing extensive enough to gain a good personal letter. I volunteer in the community and wonder if a letter of rec from someone who has seen me work with might be better. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Paul's Boutique

Good for you! Shadow a DO a few times (3+) and s/he should be able to write an good letter for you. The more the better.

BTW, I think that most DO schools would prefer (or may even require) a letter from a DO (as opposed to MD).

Best luck to you!

------------------
    -PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

I think that some of the schools do require a letter from a DO. At KCOM they require a letter either from a DO or from an employer. Since I had been out working for several years I chose to have a letter sent in from an employer and it worked.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

5. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member

bucky-

in order to show that you are serious about osteopathy as a professional career path, you would do well to obtain 2 letters of rec from a DO..anyone can regurg the slick book on A.T STill, but few can say they have EXPERIENCED osteopathy before they enter, if you catch my drift..

it sounds easier said than done--but it is fairly easy to buff things up..grab a phone book, call up a bunch of DOs and spend some quality time..find out what it is all about and you may even learn something in the process of getting a nice letter!

good luck