Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've asked a couple of professors and others if they would be able to write a letter of rec, and the response from each and every single one of them has been "I would be glad to." This is said usually in a calm manner, with no strong look of hesitation.. although I might be missing that. What kind of response should you expect from an enthusiastic writer? Is "glad to" good to hear, or should I aim for someone who would "love to!"? Or should I stop analyzing and start studying? Thanks SDN :love:

Members don't see this ad.

TIGIBedHead said:
I've asked a couple of professors and others if they would be able to write a letter of rec, and the response from each and every single one of them has been "I would be glad to." This is said usually in a calm manner, with no strong look of hesitation.. although I might be missing that. What kind of response should you expect from an enthusiastic writer? Is "glad to" good to hear, or should I aim for someone who would "love to!"? Or should I stop analyzing and start studying? Thanks SDN :love:

relax! the most important thing is the letter writers actually know you and a somewaht personal baisis and can put some details into the letter. otherwise you'll end up w/something pretty generic.

now just make sure they get those letters sent on time!

stoic said:
relax! the most important thing is the letter writers actually know you and a somewaht personal baisis and can put some details into the letter. otherwise you'll end up w/something pretty generic.

now just make sure they get those letters sent on time!

Thanks stoic! I needed someone to say that :) Anyone else overanalyzing letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
The question to ask is will you write me a *positive* letter of recommendation. Then watch for a response. If they hesitate, thank them and walk away.

Y_Marker said:
The question to ask is will you write me a *positive* letter of recommendation. Then watch for a response. If they hesitate, thank them and walk away.

Yea, I've heard other people recommend the inclusion of the word "positive" when asking for a letter. I initially spoke with the professors to schedule a meeting to discuss my application, since I've been in their classes, but I don't necessarily know them well on a personal level, nor do they know me that well. But they've seen me each time in class (there are about 50 students in the 2 science classes taught by the profs I am asking), and they notice that I'm listening and occasionally asking questions. We've had small interactions that demonstrate my character and maturity, but nothing very in depth. So I was hoping to first meet with them and show them what I've done over the years, and then ask if they feel that they could write a positive letter. How does that sound?

When I asked my writers I always said, "Dr. soandso, could you write me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school?"

Then I provided them with a resume, transcript, and copy of my personal statement.

Best wishes!

Angel

TIGIBedHead said:
Yea, I've heard other people recommend the inclusion of the word "positive" when asking for a letter. I initially spoke with the professors to schedule a meeting to discuss my application, since I've been in their classes, but I don't necessarily know them well on a personal level, nor do they know me that well. But they've seen me each time in class (there are about 50 students in the 2 science classes taught by the profs I am asking), and they notice that I'm listening and occasionally asking questions. We've had small interactions that demonstrate my character and maturity, but nothing very in depth. So I was hoping to first meet with them and show them what I've done over the years, and then ask if they feel that they could write a positive letter. How does that sound?

Ask them out to lunch. Some ugrad profs are wierd about this. Most of my grad school profs were cool with it though. We'd go drinking with them. Though my grad school was private and the class size was relatively small.

For ugrad, I'd goto the prof's office to talk about stuff. I did have something class related so it didn't seem like I was just there to shoot the breeze. Relax, even the most eccentric prof's are cool when you get to know them. Remember though you're always selling yourself. It's as much about PR as anything.

Being an extrovert, helps.