letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robin1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important would you say these actually are in the residency application process?

Just asking because while looking at an IM program website the the program director basically said not to worry too much about them. Is this position unique or do other PD's have the same type of attitude towards them?

Members don't see this ad.

I've often asked myself the same question, since I won't be leaving my country before I apply next year and, thus, I won't have any American recs when the time comes around. So I contacted a PD from what I've been told is a good program and asked that very question. This person told me that a rec counts only if the person writing it is well-known at the program you're applying to. And that goes for American recs, too (according to this PD!).
Just my 32 liras

OK, it's 42! But who's counting!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends: low test scores, they could come into play, competitivness of the program, the pd may not even get to the LORs.

IMO, how well the LOR is written about you, the details, the specific facts about you, as if the MD really did get to know you...I can honestly say in all my interviews they were discussed and commented on. I had 2 very good letters from one Chief Resident, and one from a Chief Attending. So sometimes the content and the Dr's position come into play. And in some programs they require the letter to be from the Chief Resident or the Department Head(Chairman) to even be considered at all.

IM has been a little easier for IMGs so give it your best shot... really ace Step I.

Having just gone through IM interviews, I found out the importance of my (non-US) LoRs varied from none to decent. At some of the lower-tier programs, which mainly constituted my backup programs, they tended to focus on scores and pimp you with medical questions. LoRs were barely even looked at. At some of the middle-tier programs, especially those where my own institution and others from where I had got LoRs were well-known, the interviewers remarked on things mentioned in the LoRs. At the one really competitive program where I was lucky to interview, again the insitutions were well-known, and the interviewer remarked that the LoRs, though inferior in their opinion to the US LoRs other IMG candidates had, still were an important part for a strong application.

I guess if you demonstrate excellence on the steps, and your LoRs and Dean's Letter confirm that fact, they will certainly be looked at in a more positive light.

Hey stormreaver,

I sent you a private message. I'd appreciate it if you took a look at it.
thanks