Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to start the process for ERAS applications for the 2009 match. I'm going for Peds. Just have a question re: LORs. I finished my core peds rotation more that 6 months ago. I did really well. I made it clear to the attending that I was going into peds and so I did "extra" work during the rotation. (Did extra calls, spent more time in clinic, did an extra presentation). I couldn't ask for an LOR at the time because I didn't have my AAMC number and now I'm not sure if I should go back and try to get one, since it's been so long since I did the rotation. Plus, the hospital was in NYC and I'm in Akron right now. I'm also worried that the letter that I will get might just be a generic letter, since there were so many students in the rotation and I didn't really work with the person who actually writes the letter. Would it be odd not to have a letter from my peds core rotation and have all my letters from elective rotations? So far I've finished a Peds Psych and Peds Heme/Onc (both finished within the last two months). For both rotations I worked one-on-one with the attendings and did well during both rotations, so I think I'll get a stronger, more personalized letter from them. Also, is it OK to have all your letters from the same institution? or should I try to get atleast one letter from a different place?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just about to start the process for ERAS applications for the 2009 match. I'm going for Peds. Just have a question re: LORs. I finished my core peds rotation more that 6 months ago. I did really well. I made it clear to the attending that I was going into peds and so I did "extra" work during the rotation. (Did extra calls, spent more time in clinic, did an extra presentation). I couldn't ask for an LOR at the time because I didn't have my AAMC number

For the benefit of others, you *can* ask for a letter at the time you do your rotation, as the letter writer will most assuredly have a copy and can add your AAMC number or your Dean's Office can type it in. This should not be a reason not to ask for a letter at the time of rotation.

... and now I'm not sure if I should go back and try to get one, since it's been so long since I did the rotation. Plus, the hospital was in NYC and I'm in Akron right now. I'm also worried that the letter that I will get might just be a generic letter, since there were so many students in the rotation and I didn't really work with the person who actually writes the letter. Would it be odd not to have a letter from my peds core rotation and have all my letters from elective rotations?

I think its a bit odd but that depends on whether or not you can get a letter that supports your application. If they don't remember you, or write you a generic letter, then you may be better off without it. A weak letter from your Peds Core will hurt you more than not having one at all.

So far I've finished a Peds Psych and Peds Heme/Onc (both finished within the last two months). For both rotations I worked one-on-one with the attendings and did well during both rotations, so I think I'll get a stronger, more personalized letter from them. Also, is it OK to have all your letters from the same institution? or should I try to get atleast one letter from a different place?

Thanks.

Most students have all their letters from the same institution, as most people don't do away rotations, especially for a less competitive specialty like Peds. Your letters don't all have to be from Peds and its ok that they are from the same institution. How about letters from FM or IM rotations?

I'm just about to start the process for ERAS applications for the 2009 match. I'm going for Peds. Just have a question re: LORs. I finished my core peds rotation more that 6 months ago. I did really well. I made it clear to the attending that I was going into peds and so I did "extra" work during the rotation. (Did extra calls, spent more time in clinic, did an extra presentation). I couldn't ask for an LOR at the time because I didn't have my AAMC number and now I'm not sure if I should go back and try to get one, since it's been so long since I did the rotation. Plus, the hospital was in NYC and I'm in Akron right now. I'm also worried that the letter that I will get might just be a generic letter, since there were so many students in the rotation and I didn't really work with the person who actually writes the letter. Would it be odd not to have a letter from my peds core rotation and have all my letters from elective rotations? So far I've finished a Peds Psych and Peds Heme/Onc (both finished within the last two months). For both rotations I worked one-on-one with the attendings and did well during both rotations, so I think I'll get a stronger, more personalized letter from them. Also, is it OK to have all your letters from the same institution? or should I try to get atleast one letter from a different place?

Thanks.

I think it would look better to get an LOR from both you Akron Peds core as well as peds elective letters from an NYC hospital, especially if you an IMG, you can send a lot of letters to ERAS and then decide which ones you want sent to programs when you apply, i.e. different programs can get a different combination of letters!

Status
Not open for further replies.