Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancer8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am trying to apply to MSW programs in NY for the fall semester of 2011. I was looking at the applications and deadlines and just got overwhelmed about the letters of rec. Right now I am volunteering at Bellevue Hospital. I don't have much experience except for my current volunteer work and for my fieldwork at a school for developmentally disabled children. Reason being is that my sister has bipolar disorder and she was in and out of hospitals. I was her caretaker and my life had really been stalled. But now I'm trying to gain control of my it and work towards getting my LCSW.

I was just concerned because I need 3 letters of recommendation and as of now I only have 1, but I am hopefully going to get one from the director of volunteer at the hospital. I was just wondering how to get my third letter. I was thinking of asking the head doctor or head nurse at one of the floors I volunteer at, but would getting 2 letters of recommendation from the same hospital be looked down upon if I apply to NYU, Hunter, Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools prefer one academic and two professional letters of recommendation. I don't think two letters from the same place are going to be of much help. Are you able to get in contact with a professor from the college you did your undergrad work at? How long has it been since you have been out of college?

I graduated in May of 2010, but because I was my sister's caretaker, I never really ventured out to get to know my professors. I was always running around and taking care of her. I had to accompany her to doctors, weekly therapy sessions, etc. However, I was close with one of my professors (I took a mythology/history class and linguistics class with him), would it be okay if he writes one (I still have to ask), even though he has no connection to my psych major?

Also, the letter from my fieldwork experience is from the professor of the class, who was the director of the school of developmentally disabled children. My fieldwork experience involved me working in the environment and taking exams, etc. I don't know if that works for the academic related letter of recommendation. I don't know what she wrote, but she asked for my transcript/grades when she was writing me one.

I really do appreciate your help and guidance. I have no idea who to turn to right now. Thanks soo much for any advice!

Sometimes I think we all over think the importance and weight each of the requirements have. You sound like you would be a great addition to any social work program. If the mythology/history professor is willing to write you a letter and a good one at that - I think you should go for it. It's especially preferred if you are recently graduated. My understanding is that the academic letter speaks to your ability to do graduate level work. They should comment on your writing and analytical skills in the letter, as well as academic performance. It is also an opportunity for your professor to address any special circumstances you had during college. I would meet with this professor in person, bring your transcripts, tell him your career goals, the circumstance with your sister during college, and find out what he can say about your academic performance. I don't think it matters as much if the professor is in the department of your major. It might be a preferred, but I think it's more or less a must if you are, say, a sociology major applying to a Sociology PhD program. Those are my thoughts. Maybe someone else can add to this...