Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambergris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know that it is highly recommended (and sometimes required) to have 2 recommendations from science profesors and 1 from a non-science professor. I'm a biology and Spanish double major and a history minor and would prefer to have LORs from professors of all three subjects. I'm definitely getting recs from a biology and a history professor, both of whom I've had for 2 semesters. For the 3rd rec, I'm still trying to decide between a Spanish professor I've had for 1 semester and a biochem professor that I'm taking for the first time this semester. I'm doing really well in biochem so far, but we've only had 1 test, and I feel like my Spanish professor definitely knows me better. I've done pretty well in all my science pre-reqs, but that usually means I never had to talk to the professors, so I doubt they even remember me. Should I ask the Spanish professor who knows me pretty well or the biochem professor?

Also, how commonly do schools require 2 science recs? I know VCU does, though I haven't looked at too many schools' policies. Some schools' websites don't state explicitly who they want their LORs from.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A recent poster on this forum( I regrettably do not remember who) stated that out of the twenty or so school which he applied to, only one mentioned the fact he only had 1 science letter. However, he did have a letter from someone he researched with. I think science letters are important, and you certainly do not want to limit yourself. Ask the Spanish teacher for one, it is good to have, however you should also attempt to get another rec from a science professor. Attempt to build the relationship with your biochem prof over the semester, for starters. Good luck, if this doesn't fully answer your question let me know.

I think you need to figure out if the Spanish teacher is going to really give you a great recommendation, especially since you have only been taking her for one prior semester. That's not a great deal of time to get to know a professor. If the Spanish teacher is just going to give something generic I would go ahead and get it from another science professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do request a letter from a prof in your major; not sure if the expectation would be for double majors to have letters from 2 profs. Probably more critical for a non-sci major to know this...

OP: you really should get a second science letter, IMO. If you want to add the Spanish letter as a 4th, go for it.