Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toyotasupra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if some schools that require a letter of recommendation from a dentist are ok with a letter of recommendation from a supervisor at work? I've worked at Microchip for the last 2 years full time, graveyard shift 6pm-6am and I have not had the time to observe or shadow a dentist during that time.

I did however shadow and observe a dentist for 60 hours about 2.5 years ago, but I am kinda embarrassed to go ask him since it was so long ago and I didn't really keep in contact with him.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not necessary for you to get a letter of rec from a dentist.The lor from boss is fine.

I would ask both for letters and see which ones you can get. It's good that you have shadowing experience already.
I'm not sure how strict the LOR requirements are, but I didn't bother to complete the applications for those schools that asked for a dentist letter.
Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest some extra shadowing so that you can get a fresh one.

Having a STRONG LOR makes a big difference. Handing in a mediocre one just to fulfill a minimum requirement will not make you a more competitive applicant.

My interviewer last week kept commenting on, "Oh Dr. So and So must really like you." He said it multiple times throughout the entire interview.

I've only observed Dr. Pham for 60 hours and that was about roughly 2 years ago. And we don't know each other on a personal level so I don't think he can write me a strong letter of rec. My boss on the other hand, we pretty much lived at the company together since it was a 4 days per week, 12 hour, 6pm-6am job. We'd always joke with each other about how we spend more time with the Microchip employees than we do with our own family.

But yeah he and I have gotten to know each other pretty well for the last 2 years and I think he'd be able to write me a much stronger letter of rec; since he knows me and my work ethics.

Some schools will require you to get a letter of recommendation from a dentist. Different schools have different criteria. I applied to Loma Linda and they wanted a letter from a dentist and a ecclesiastical leader.

Make sure you research your top schools and find out what they want, as far the boss situation, I would call your main choices and just ask.

It is not necessary for you to get a letter of rec from a dentist.The lor from boss is fine.

Please don't take Choob's advice (absolutely no offense meant at all Choob). If a school requires a letter from a dentist then they require it and just sit and wait for it to come in. When it never arrives they will pass over yr app. A better solution is to get that letter sent by the doc you shadowed and then have yr boss send their letter as a suplement to your app! All you have to do is call the school to ensure they put it in your file so that it will be viewed by the admissions comittee.

The best option though is to get some more recent shadowing experience. If yr only just getting around to this stuff now though you should hold off and apply next cycle cuz you are pretty much too late now.

Good luck!

I was just curious if some schools that require a letter of recommendation from a dentist are ok with a letter of recommendation from a supervisor at work? I've worked at Microchip for the last 2 years full time, graveyard shift 6pm-6am and I have not had the time to observe or shadow a dentist during that time.

I did however shadow and observe a dentist for 60 hours about 2.5 years ago, but I am kinda embarrassed to go ask him since it was so long ago and I didn't really keep in contact with him.

thanks for this info coz i also have plan to pursue dentistry could i also have the same two years to fulfill this?

Yeah I understand I'm late, I'm actually not planning on getting in. I'm aiming for the post bacc programs that link to dental schools. I'm just applying to show that I've tried so I can fulfill some of the post bacc requirements.

Yeah I understand I'm late, I'm actually not planning on getting in. I'm aiming for the post bacc programs that link to dental schools. I'm just applying to show that I've tried so I can fulfill some of the post bacc requirements.

Not to worry. It looks like your wish is likely to be granted.

Last edited:
Please don't take Choob's advice (absolutely no offense meant at all Choob). If a school requires a letter from a dentist then they require it and just sit and wait for it to come in. When it never arrives they will pass over yr app. A better solution is to get that letter sent by the doc you shadowed and then have yr boss send their letter as a suplement to your app! All you have to do is call the school to ensure they put it in your file so that it will be viewed by the admissions comittee.

The best option though is to get some more recent shadowing experience. If yr only just getting around to this stuff now though you should hold off and apply next cycle cuz you are pretty much too late now.

Good luck!

None was taken. Sorry to op I just skimmed over and though u meant which lor would be better between your sup and dentist. Thanks for correcting me. I would hate to give false information. No wonder my RC is crap :laugh:.