letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have two valuable letters of recommendation still outstanding that i would love to have sent to the residency programs i have applied for. So far, only one letter is "in" on eras and i have been receiving a good number of interviews from good programs. however, i fear that if the other two letters are not in, i might get rejected based on an incomplete application. I have begged and pleaded with these attendings for the past two months to get the letter done, to no avail! i mean, i am going to their office at least twice a week!! i obviously don't want to be a pest, but i have had to be firm, letting them know that their letters obviously mean a great deal. How important are letters then? do they need to be in by nov. 1 to the residency program? i have heard various things and would be interested in input from the group.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about surgery, but many IM places just want your app to be complete by the time that you arrive for an interview. If they haven't offered you an interview yet, I'd recc trying to get those letters in sooner better then later. Some programs are probably waiting for your letters to be turned in and your app to be complete before offering you an interview.

do what you can to get friendly with their secretaries. maybe they will "push" the attendings into finishing the letters.