• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

VanCityGurl

15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Status (Visible)
I am wondering how important letters of recommendations are. I am missing one and would like to know how that will affect my chances of getting an interview.

My calculated GPA is 3.00 Sci 2.96
DAT Acad - 20 PAT - 19 Carving - 27
My GPA has jumped greatly from a 2.24 to a 3.53 ever since I've realized that I wanted to become a dentist. I guess averaging that out still doesn't give me that great of a GPA.

I've worked for a dentist as a chairside assistant for about 4 years and that's when I realized that dentistry was for me. He is one of me references as well as an undergrad biochem prof that I volunteered for. I've tried getting another reference but found it quite difficult. Is there anything else I can do at this time? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Status (Visible)
If you are missing a letter some schools wont even look at your application. Get that letter!

27 on carving??? Wow! I got a 26 and I thought that was unbeatable. I was wrong:eek: .

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Also, it is important to know what each schools' requirement are for LOR because each have different LOR requirements. (ie: one school might want 2 LORs from professors in either BIO/CHEM/PHYS and 1 dentist while another school might want 2 LORs from science faculty and 1 from non-science faculty - so a LOR from a dentist will not fulfill the requirement in this case, etc...) Just make sure you have all the LORs covered for all the schools you are applying to (look at the admission website for each school to check, or contact them). (For me, I need to get 5 LORs so that I can satisfy each schools' requirement on LOR). This is important because without LOR that satisfy the school's requirement, they will put your application on hold until ALL REQUIREMENTS have been received.

Good Luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.