Letters of Recs (Absolute Requirement)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medking

The time will come...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Application season is coming up soon and I have 2 questions.

1. I cant seem to find any absolute requirements about letters of recommendaitons. I mean I hear the rumors going around like you need 2 science and 1 nonscience, but I can never find this information anywhere. If you know of any sites that have this, I'd appreciate it if you would post a link. I would especially like to know about any requirements the UC's and Stanford have.

2. What is usually the cutoff for any single subject on the MCAT? Like how low can one subject be and still be considered for a school. I am asking about MD schools all over the spectrum in the US. Specifically top schools like the UC's, Stanford and the likes.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to know the requirements for the LORs just visit the school's website. Most school have their requirements online even though you may have to do some searching to find it. The requirements are different for each school and if you can't find it on the website just send the school an email asking.

As far as the MCAT scores I couldn't really say...

Download the attachment. Not sure how accurate it is, but it'll give you a nice idea of what each school wants.

Attachments

• med_school_letter_types.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 147
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about LoRs also. When schools say they prefer a letter from your premedical committee, do they mean that is the only letter they want if you can provide it? Or am I free to send other letters to supplement that premedical committee letter? Thanks.

When a school says 2 letters from science teachers, do math teachers count?

I have a question about LoRs also. When schools say they prefer a letter from your premedical committee, do they mean that is the only letter they want if you can provide it? Or am I free to send other letters to supplement that premedical committee letter? Thanks.

They prefer a letter from the premed committee if your school has it because, unlike your professor LOR's, some people on the committee won't already know who you are and can get a first impression about you when you go for the premed committee interview. It's an impression they'll get of you similar to your med school interview. But yes, you are free to send letters to supplement it.

Hi all. Application season is coming up soon and I have 2 questions.

2. What is usually the cutoff for any single subject on the MCAT? Like how low can one subject be and still be considered for a school. I am asking about MD schools all over the spectrum in the US. Specifically top schools like the UC's, Stanford and the likes.

Thanks in advance!

(1) Order the MSAR - it's very useful for this sort of info!
(2) Glancing at last year's, here are the listed scores (VR, PS, BS, WS):
Minimum
Stanford: 4, 7, 8, L
Davis: 6, 7, 8, L
Irvine: 3, 7, 8, L
UCLA: 5, 6, 6, L
UCSD: 6, 6, 8, L
UCSF: 6, 7, 8, L

Median
Stanford: 11, 12, 12, Q
Davis: 10, 11, 11, Q
Irvine: 10, 11, 11, Q
UCLA: 10, 11, 11, Q
UCSD: 11, 12, 12, Q
UCSF: 11, 11, 12, Q

That being said, I'd really focus on the median to see where you stand. Also, I would really look at the individual section scores - just because you got a 6, 14, 14 (total 34) doesn't mean you're a shoe-in for UCSF (median 34). I'd say, realistically, your individual scores should not be more than -1 below the school's median for that section, and your total not more than -2 below the median total score.

This is all probability and guesswork (not to discourage you too much from applying to any one school), but I figure it's a good way to figure out where you stand.

Good luck!

Like others have said - absolute requirements vary by school. If you want an absolute answer find it on their website or call them. The exact requirements for a school are always included on their secondary.

The general wisdom of: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 boss/PI/supervisor is based on what "most" schools require. If you have at least that you will be covered at every school. Having more than that is fine too. I had 6 letters and picked and chose what to send based on the individual school requirements.

as far as science faculty goes, does engineering count? for example a faculty member in the department of tissue engineering?

Hi! I have a question about LOR. Do schools generally allow you to submit letters on top of the pre-med committee? The pre-med committee at my university only allows students to submit three letters of recommendation. I chose two from professors in my major because I did a lot of research with them and I think they will write very strong letters. I also got one from one my employer this year.

In addition these committee letters, I asked for a letter from a sciene prof (I didn't include his in the three for the committee because although I did well in his class, he doesn't really know me, but I need one saying I can do science), a doctor I worked with over a summer, and a supervisor who saw me interact a lot with patients. I was planning to send these additional letters via interfolio, but are there some schools that won't accept them?