Letters of Recs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beagle

Meet BEAGLE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering what you should give your professors when it is time for them to write you letters of recs???
Resumes, etc? Any advice
Thanks!
BEaGLE

Members don't see this ad.

I gave them my resume, an autobiograpahy of me (I had to write one for my prehealth advisor, so I already had it written), the information and stamped envelopes of where they had to send the stuff out. I put it all into a manilla folder and wrote clear instructions on a sheet paperclipped on top (specifying the date it had to be in (which is earlier than it needed to be of course-just in case)). I gave them about 1.5 month in advance and checked in w/them via email about 2-3 weeks later. I also made sure to send thank you cards the date it was supposed to be sent in, JUST in case they didn't do it yet, thank you cards serve two purposes (to say thanks and as a reminder)...anyway, hope this helps :)

First of all, I made sure the professors and dentists I asked for a letter knew me. If they don't know you ask them out for lunch or something and explain to them that you want them to get to know you better because it will make it easier for them to talk about. I also gave them my transcript, an extracurricular activity sheet, and my aadsas essay (if you have a resume, throw it in there). Basically, anything that will let them know a little bit more about you. If you've written any articles give it to them. The most important thing is to let them know of your goals and how much it means to you. Hope this helps.

Simseema
Wow!! I can't believe you had all your things ready to go 1.5 months before applying!!!
When did you apply?
I KNOW that I won't be done until the day I mail my app!!!
Thanks for your tips!