Letters of Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in applying this year. I had a couple questions since I don't have much idea about how the appication process works. Do I send the LOR's to AADSAS or directly to the schools to which I'm applying? Is it okay to send only one original copy to AADSAS? If I choose to send them directly to the schools, will photocopies work? Is it better to get an evaluation form from the Health committee or will just LOR's be okay?
Also, did any of you pay to have someone read and edit your essay?

I'm confused and I'd really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad has a letter of rec service that will send all of the letters out to all of the schools. I sent them out about a week after I submitted my electronic AADSAS. This seemed to work fine, since they almost arrived exactly with my application. If your undergrad doesn't have this service I guess just have your profs send the letters directly to AADSAS--but then I have heard horror stories about this so be ready to send more...
jojo

Regarding to the recommandations for each school, is it ok to send out all the recommandations to each school instead of sending one set to AADSAS? If it is the case, does it mean I have to prepare 45 (15 schools, 3 LOR for each) copies to all the schools? As JoJo said, I also heard bad feedback about the efficiency of AADSAS. Thanks for any post!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to read on the AADSAS booklet. Some schools specifically don't want any thing send straigt to them. They prefer everything to come in one box.

The only way you can help prevent AADSAS horror story is that callling every school, ask if your letter is there or not. If they're not there yet, then you have to send extra copies to the schools. I called every single schools, and AADSAS like every week or so after I submitted my application. Hey, they didn't specify not to call and bug them. So, it's all legit. And the schools do agree that AADSAS doesn't work properly sometimes. So, they'll understand if you do send your stuff straight.

Is it ok to send PHOTOCOPIES of LOR's to schools?

LOR's are supposed to be confidential. I do not think you can photocopy them yourself.

I would use AADSAS or if your school has a letter service.

That essay edge.com was helpful. I spent 60 $ to review my essay. I got some good feedback. If your university has an English Department, they have some sort of writing skills center. Make an appointment if they have this service. It is just as good. They claim that all their reviewers are graduates of an IVY league school. I don't buy it though. I just used it because I don't have access to any free services.

LOR's

I think it depends on the faculty who write the letter - some of them will give it to you and some like to keep it confidential. I sent all 4 of my LOR's to the AADSAS and it worked out ok - all the schools received them without any problems. I would say if you apply early enough you are better off sending the LOR's to the AADSAS. You can give the professors a stamped, pre-addressed envelope that they can use - that always makes them happier :)

Essay

It is a good idea to have 2 or 3 people read your essay just to see if you are making the point you want to make. I would be careful about having other people change the essay too much. I know some schools will ask you to write a short essay on your interview and then compare it to your original essay to see if it is the same writing style!! I would say just be yourself and make sure it is gramatically correct, but don't worry too much about it. If you have a favorite school, check out the website, read their goal and mission - or whatever they call it, and maybe try to include in your essay what you like to hear, it always helps.

Best of luck to you
P.