Letters of Reference from Science Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi

I am a bit worried about the strength of my science LORs .

Firstly, I finished my BS back in 2007.
I later did an MPH and graduated in 2012.

I just took some university courses and one was a Physiology course and the other a research course. While I am certain the professor will write me "a" letter. I am not sure if it would be a good one. I did decently in the course but overall it was generic. The class was large and lectures were impersonal. The research course professor (in a science field) would write me a great one but unfortunately I feel this wouldn't count as a science professor.

Given my distance from my science undergrad courses, how does one obtain "science" letters. For instance, I could get a science LOR from my organic chemistry professor but that would be from 2003. Would that even be relevant?

How have you guys dealt with this?

Hey first of all congrats for on the verge of applying for med school. In my opinion go for the letter from Ogro professor from 2003. I got 2 letters of recommendations from my 2 undergrad bio professors. They both knew me well despite of being a class bigger than 200 and I graduated in 2002. Both were great letters and did the charm. Good luck.

I would email/call that professor, ask them if they'd be willing to write you a letter, and give them an update as to what you've been up to. If you can show that they've known you and talk for your accomplishments since 2003 in addition to your performance in the class, then that's great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email/call that professor, ask them if they'd be willing to write you a letter, and give them an update as to what you've been up to. If you can show that they've known you and talk for your accomplishments since 2003 in addition to your performance in the class, then that's great.

You'd suggest I'd email the professor from 2003? it wouldn't be a negative to have a reference from someone from a while back?

You'd suggest I'd email the professor from 2003? it wouldn't be a negative to have a reference from someone from a while back?

I don't think it is depending on your correspondence with the professor when you were a student. I don't have this issue because even though I've been out for 4+ years, I've kept in contact with a few of my professors and I already have letters. One of them is updating her letter based on our last conversation.

If you ask a professor you don't know at all for an LOR, you're going to get a generic POS letter that an adcomm will see through. I've screened applicants for jobs and you can tell RIGHT AWAY who the writers know and who they're writing a letter for because they have to. It's not pretty and the letters do more harm than good due to no fault of the writer.

Reactions: 1 user