Letters of Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDAB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most residencies require three letters of reference. Any suggestions for who you should ask? I was thinking my boss from the hospital I've worked at for three years, one of my ambulatory care preceptors (since I'd like to go into am care), and the director of student life at my school (I've been involved in a lot there and she usually ran the programs).

What suggestions are there for which types of people to ask? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most residencies require three letters of reference. Any suggestions for who you should ask? I was thinking my boss from the hospital I've worked at for three years, one of my ambulatory care preceptors (since I'd like to go into am care), and the director of student life at my school (I've been involved in a lot there and she usually ran the programs).

What suggestions are there for which types of people to ask? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would keep your hospital boss (although after reading like 100 apps last yr these people usually write very generic letters) and for sure your clinical preceptor. I could go either way about the student activities. I think letters from clinical preceptor are usually the best judge of an applicants abilities.

What about getting a letter of reference from a preceptor who has a role in the resident selection process at that institution. Would asking them for a letter be a conflict of interest for them, or have any benefit for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about getting a letter of reference from a preceptor who has a role in the resident selection process at that institution. Would asking them for a letter be a conflict of interest for them, or have any benefit for you?
You mean, in the same institution you are going to apply to? I would refuse flat out, for ethical reasons.

For LOR from preceptors, managers, etc. I plan to ask the same ones to write me one for the 4-5 programs that I want to apply to. Do you think it's a good/bad idea??? Also, I have been looking into programs and developed questions to ask. Is it better to ask these questions during mid-year at the ''meet and greet'' table or save it for the one-on-one interview (if contacted)? I know Mid-year is going to be busy and lots of people will be there, I don't know what I can say/do to make myself ''memorable'' when I visit the table.