Letters Sent Alphabetically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemist0157

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about what everyone else thinks of this. I've been checking out the secondary threads and acceptance threads to see when other people have interviewed and received their acceptances. Consistently, I receive my letters later than everyone else. For instance, I'll interview, they'll say 4-6 weeks or whatever, and I'll get my letter on like the last day of the 6th week. People who interviewed after me get answers before me.

I was wondering if adcoms maybe send out letters alphabetically. My last name starts with a Y, and I just think it's strange that I seem to get my stuff last. Sure, there's plenty of applicants who are probably no-brainers and get sent acceptances immediately, but I just think it's odd that people who interview 1 week after me seem to get their stuff 1 week before me.

I could be completely off-base with this hypothesis, but I am used to getting stuff from my undergrad late because of my last name. Anyone else have a Y/Z anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I'm at the beginning of the alphabet and always seem to hear last.

For me it seems to be more a function of how far I live from said school.

I've thought that too, and I know that is a factor. But my most recent letter came from a neighboring state, and it was that letter that made me want to finally ask this question. Could just be typical application randomness, but I wanted to ask if there is some sort of pattern.