Letters to adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well I have been working on a ranking system to see which school is the most compatible with all the factors that I need to consider. And although I have to still work out some of the kinks and visit a couple of the schools again, I think I'll have a good, reliable ranked list soon.

But, obviously I'm not going to get into all the schools that I'm waiting to hear from. I'm hoping to at least get waitlisted at a couple of them.

So here's my question: if after my ranking is completed and I figure out which school is truly the perfect match and I get lucky enough to at least get waitlisted, should I send a letter to the adcom?

If so, what should the letter contain?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the pat on the back; it is always appreciated.

By all means send them a letter. But keep it short and simple, saying that you are interested in remaining on the wait list.

I would not tell them it is your first choice should you get accepted unless it truly is and you would withdraw from all your other acceptances. Too many students who don't really mean it say that so naturally it tends not be believable. It is like the boy who cried wolf too often when there wasn't a wolf; when a wolf really did appear, nobody believed him.

Jimi-
I think writing a letter is a great idea. At lease one AdCom told me that waitlisted students "usually" write an update letter, so it sounds like not writing one actually might be misread as lack of interest. I don't have any authority on this subject since I am also an applicant, but I would recommend including information about any additional courses you've taken (if you're still in school), projects at work (if you work), publications, and volunteer activities. Furthermore, I would personalize the letter to the school (since you're only writing to schools you really like, this part should be easy!). Finally, an AdCom also told me that extra letters of recommendation (from a student at the school, or a professor/supervisor) can really help. Personally, I have no idea how I'll come up with another letter, seeing as I included all of my letters in my original application!!! Good luck and congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hallie -- I was interested in what you said about having a student at the school write an extra letter on your behalf -- is that really considered effective or beneficial? Does anyone else have experience with this? I was just asking b/c I STILL have not heard yes or no from my top choice, but I have a very good friend who is an MS1 there, and who knows me both personally, as a student, etc., and is willing to write a letter for me, but hasn't yet because he doesn't know if it would help. Any insight on this matter?

As for the original question, from everyone I've spoken to, I definitely think a letter of interest can only help your chances. If it is 100% your top choice, I also think it is worth it to mention that, and that you would be willing to withdraw your acceptances/application at all other schools contingent upon acceptance -- to show them that you are serious. Of course, you need to be prepared to follow through on that.

[This message has been edited by lilycat (edited 02-05-2001).]

lilycat,
I think you should definitely get a letter from your good friend at your first choice school! I have several friends in medical school now who have written letters for applicants they know personally, and I think it can only help! I also have a friend who applied last year and had a friend at a top ten school write a letter for her-- and she got an interview! Your friend's letter could present another side of your personality, and the AdCom is bound to respect his opinion (they did accept him, after all). I say go for it! I hope you get in. =)